1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At what point do we just recycle "Ricky tests positive" threads?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, May 11, 2007.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

So would all of this nonsense fly if it were your son? If your son was a chronic underachiever because of the chronic, you'd be OK because he'd be happy?

Give me a fucking break.....and if you aren't going to argue about it then shut up.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Everything.

Let's say a person has remarkable surgical skills. Arguably one of the best doctors in the country.

But he also doesn't like all the bureaucratic red tape that the medical profession has become. Doesn't like dealing with insurance companies. Doesn't like skyrocketing malpractice premiums. Doesn't like being on call all the time. Doesn't like working 60-hour weeks. Doesn't like the stress involved in his job. Actually dreads getting up in the morning and going to work sometimes.

Is this guy a waste and a loser if he decides he doesn't care enough about that kind of life to follow all the rules that you have to follow? If he'd be happier (though not paid as much) working as a pharmacist?

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You have NO clue how deeply depressed he may be.

He's pursuing happiness honestly.

But he has not found it, I'm pretty sure.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

I would say about 1 percent of all humans actually make the most of their talents. So Ricky's not alone there. However, throwing away the rare level of talent he possesses in the irresponsible way he's doing it is simply childish. That's what's sad.

And whatever his disorders are, I'm guessing many other people who deal with the same things manage to function in everyday life without getting high and continually losing their jobs.

5. boots

boots New Member

What more do you want me to say? I think I've proven my point.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Jesus Christ... NONE of us is famous with social anxiety disorder

7. pallister

pallister Guest

My points still stand; they are, as you know, inarguable among the sane.

8. Simon_Cowbell

That we have social anxiety disorder, yet everyone knows who we are?

No.

Hardly anyone deals with that at work.

Niekro.....

9. boots

boots New Member

Without the ususal clowns chiming in. I see your point. Zag. I see yours too.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

That's my point. To compare what Rickey did to a surgeon fed up with red tape is wrong because they aren't similar in any way.

11. Jones

Jones Active Member

Regarding Ricky's finances:

As far as I know, the Dolphins have never officially forgiven Ricky the judgement they won against him: $8.6-million. They still have the right, I believe, to collect it. Whether they will is up to them.

When I knew him, he had a little over $2-million in assets.

He has not made more than $6.6-million since.

Hence, I believe he faces the very real possibility of being bankrupt in the near future.

I stand to be corrected -- by something more substantial than "wrong" -- but that's the situation as far as I know it.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

This thread will not end well with zagoshe and boots whining and bitching.

Draft saved Draft deleted