1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At what point do we just recycle "Ricky tests positive" threads?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, May 11, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

He wouldn't have to take a piss test at a regular office job unless there was just cause.
    Tiki Barber and Ricky Williams are two different individuals. Respect that.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Exactly -- Tiki Barber used his talent to put himself in position to make for a better life for him and his family as well as to make an impact on the world.

Ricky williams piss (tested) his talent away and is now viewed as one of the great losers of our time. And his ability to make an impact has been greatly diminished because of it.

In other words, one is pretty smart and worthy of respect and the other is just another underachieving idiot.

3. boots

boots New Member

Again, you don't know Ricky's entire situation. You're sitting on your ass making an assumption. You assume that everything is great in Tiki Barber's life. I can assure you that is not the case.
    It's too easy to criticize. I just hope that Ricky Williams the person is happy because he hopefully will be around longer than Ricky Williams the football star.

4. zagoshe

The only person to blame for criticism of Ricky Williams is the dimwit himself. He has made plenty of idiotic decisions -- starting with hiring Master P -- and American's can be plenty forgiving but only to a point - and this idiot has clearly used up all of his "I made a mistake" cards.

He is not worthy of one more thought or chance with regards to the NFL.

5. boots

boots New Member

Do you know anything about Master P? That young man has enough money to buy the freaking Miami Dolphins. His son is thought of as one of the best young basketball prospects in the nation.
    Master P is not Ricky Williams problem.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Zag, in your logic you're basically implying that because Ricky had so much talent, he also had an obligation to stay in the league and make tons of money and live up to his potential.

Sorry, but to use your own words, that dog won't hunt. Millions of people, maybe even billions, fail to live up to their true potential, yet rarely do we hold them accountable unless they also fail people who depend on them.

Does Ricky have an obligation to make millions so he can set up his mom and dad and siblings in mansions? Or does he have the free will to do as he chooses? That he didn't meet up with your expectations is not reason to call him an asshole or any of the other monikers you've so easily tossed out.

7. zagoshe

And Master P will also be remembered as one of the worst sports agents ever put on the books. That much cannot be argued, which is why his days of representing athletes were numbered before they were started.

I'm not saying he had an obligation to stay in the league -- I'm saying the fact that he went to the league means he should have respected the game enough to give it his best effort, which he clearly never did.

And because of that I'm saying he doesn't deserve a (what is this) fourth, fifth chance and he certainly doesn't deserve to be cast in this sympathetic figure role some of you are trying so hard to bestow upon him.

Call a spade a spade -- he is talented guy who never fully utilized his talent and now, because of that and because of the money problems that came with it, he wants to be forgiven and given another shot -- even though, and this recent test proves it, he doesn't deserve it.

There are words for people like Ricky Williams -- loser.

8. boots

boots New Member

And let's say for argumen't sake that drugs aren't the reason. That he comes in and gets hurt and never plays again. Is he still a loser?

9. zagoshe

Boots -- Come on.

let's look at Kijana Carter -- are you trying to compare that to a guy who pissed his talent away because he's a chronic-smoking, hippy man?

Because I certainly am not. I feel bad for KiJana Carter. I think Ricky is getting what Ricky deserves and that is certainly not sympathy.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Nobody is offering him sympathy. And show me where he's asking for sympathy.

All some are saying is let him live his life as he sees fit without being called an asshole or a loser or a wasteoid.

I figure at worst, Ricky has another 10 or so years of being a "wasteoid" before he can start concentrating on other things . . . like being the President of the United States.

11. zagoshe

He is free to live his life -- but unfortunately he is trying to make a comeback in the NFL, which makes him a public figure. If he wants to be left alone to live his life, that's fine -- go do it.

But as long as he continues to claim he wants another shot -- then fails drug tests -- he will be known as a wasteoid and a loser because that is what he is.

12. boots

boots New Member

And from what I've been told Kijana isn't exactly the world's richest individual.
    All I am saying is let Ricky be Ricky. Who are we to judge him. I just hope that he's happy being Ricky. That's far more important than if he runs for 100 yards or scores two touchdowns.

Draft saved Draft deleted