1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At what point did you first feel "old"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BRoth, Jul 3, 2006.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

For me, it was when they were born after I graduated high school.

Also, the one major leaguer I went to high school with retired a couple years ago after a fairly long career.

And I second SF's note about visiting college campuses with my daughter. It kind of gives you a new perspective on things.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Never once. Got carded for beer the other night. 8)

I didn't feel as young as I usually do when I was talking to a kid in the supermarket a few weeks ago who has no memory of the Braves being bad.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Lee, that kid also probably has no memory of the Hawks being good.

As someone said earlier, I've made a deal with myself not to feel old until I'm older than every single active ballplayer.

Keep goin' Roger!

I'm sure I've told this story dozens of times, but last summer I was at the dressmaker's getting a bridesmaid dress for my brother's wedding, and a lady walked in and asked me if it was for prom.

;D :D 8)

Made my decade !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Well, since you are only 23 or 24...

;D

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

That's why I love coverin' colleges. I keep getting older; they stay the same age.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

When I finally moved on to a real college, not a community college where there's lots of older students, at 24.

Damn, did I ever feel old.

Of course, I'm also the same guy who kinda freaked when he turned 20. Wanted to be a teen forevah, for some weird reason.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

When I hit 25, and realized that I'm that much closer to 30.

When the Minor Leaguers that I covered were all younger than me.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A recent conversation I had with an intern...

Me: Oh, you're a Royals fan. They were my team growing up.

Intern: Yeah, it's hard to be one since they suck so badly...

Me: I remember watching them in the series against the Phillies and being so pissed when they lost. I tell you, Game 6 of the 1985 series may have been one of my best sports memories ever...

Intern: I was born in 1986.

End of conversation...  :mad:

9. At first, it was when I realized more than half of the pro athletes I covered were younger than me. Just recently, it was when I realized most of them, save for a a cagey veteran like Maddux, Clemens, etc., are younger than me.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Realizing that one of the major leaguers I covered in his first spring training as a rookie was Julio Franco.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I was fairly obviously checking out this hot girl at the beach, very very very OMG. And the look in her eye was like "EEEWWWWW, someones dad just checked me out". I was 32.

12. greenie

greenie Member

I can't stand being called, "sir." I always say, "I'm not that old, and I sure ain't that respectable."

Draft saved Draft deleted