1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At the quarter pole of the season, the worst team in the NFL is...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Oct 8, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

...the New Orleans Saints.

The stats:

* Saints (0-4) PF: 51 PA: 119 PPG: 12.75 PPGA: 29.75 PPG (diff.): -17.0
    * Rams (0-5) PF: 70 PA: 137 PPG: 14.00 PPGA: 27.40 PPG (diff.): -13.4
    * Miami (0-5) PF: 97 PA: 141 PPG: 19.40 PPGA: 28.20 PPG (diff.): - 8.8

- The Saints are the worst in the league in point differential
    - The Saints are 2nd worst in the league in PPG (Bills)
    - The Saints are 3rd worst in the league in PPGA (Lions, Browns)

Depending on the outcome of tomorrow night's game, Buffalo could surpass New Orleans' NFL-worst points-per-game differential, but it would have to be a total whitewash for that to happen, something on the order of a 35-point Dallas victory.

So for Peter King, and Chris Landry, and Bill Simmons, and Sean Farnham of Fox Sports Radio, and all the rest of the New Orleans/USC/Reggie Bush/anti-Mario Williams bandwagon crew -- it's not a pretty picture right now.

I guess next week will be the week when New Orleans "busts out" on offense, and when Reggie Bush becomes the beneficiary of all the extra touches. That is, when he averages more than 4 yards per touch.

New Orleans seems to have no answers for the Cover 2 defense. If you play them in a deep zone and don't allow the home run pass, they seem unable to grind out drives, particularly with the stout McAllister gone for the season.

Sean Payton seemed to make all the right moves last season en route to winning the Coach of the Year award. But during this 0-4 start, Payton seems to have the "Reverse Midas Touch."

Oh, and a note to Saints receivers: You're supposed to catch the ball, not juggle and drop it.

As great as last year was for the Saints, this year has started with the same momentum, but in the opposite direction.

If they're not careful, the Saints could be heading back to the Bernard Diliberto/Aints days, symbolized by this fashion accessory:

[​IMG]

For the citizens still coping with Katrina and for whom the Saints mean a great deal, let's hope things don't end up that bad.

Very interested to see King's MMQB tomorrow, and see if he is ready to formally bury the Saints' playoff chances and season. Just listening to Chris Landry on Fox Sports Radio (a HUGE Saints believer), he's not quite ready to give up, but he's almost there.

For a person who has invested as much in the Saints, King might be equally reluctant to give up on the struggling squad.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Quarter pole means a quarter remaining, not gone.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oops.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Cleanup on Aisle 5. There's a white, milky discharge on Aisle 5.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

There's a reason some people aren't employed in this profession.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You sure? I thought it was clear?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I knew the answer to this before I even opened it up.

8. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

at least he knows how to use the bold and italic functions

9. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

And one day he'll come back from the bathroom without piss on his pants.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Damn you, Allan Muir, for confusing me on the meaning of "quarter pole:"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/allan_muir/11/27/quarter.awards/index.html

(paragraph 6)

It's amazing the stuff that sticks in my mind, like an SI.com NHL article from almost a year ago. I knew I shouldn't read so much.

My mom, ex-horse trainer, would be very disappointed in that reference. Sorry, Secretariat.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Is that your mom and your ex-horse trainer or your mom is an ex-horse trainer?
    How does one train an ex-horse anyway?

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

By injecting them with Winstrall? I'm guessing Rok knows a thing or two about that drug.

Draft saved Draft deleted