1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At the movies (with a baby)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YGBFKM, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Oh lighten up. I was joking.

I do think it's a bad idea, though............

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We did it all the time. We would usually go to sparsely attended movies and we'd see the earliest showing they have. I think we only had an issue once out of about 12 times we did it.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

What fucking business was it of hers?

My then-wife and I took our son to his first box lacrosse game when he was three weeks old. He slept through the whole thing.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

And, agreed. He's a total douchebag.

5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Never tried a movie, but have done many sporting events and whatnot from almost birth. I don't understand the fear people have of getting out and doing stuff with babies. You have to know your own kid, but they are portable, don't talk and usually sleep the whole time. Depending on what type of event you're at, if they are awake they probably get pretty caught up in the atmosphere.

Last college basketball game we went to as a family my oldest two (7 and 4) were far worse than our 6-month-old who slept the whole first half.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm glad that seems to be the consensus.

I like her. But she's super uptight.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hey, I like Bill Maher!

8. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

If you're worried about the first time, many theatres in big cities have a parent-and-kid showing during weekday afternoon hours. That might be a good trial run.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Unless it's a kid's movie get a sitter or don't go.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

No, we were thinking of taking him to a Friday night showing the day a movie opens. Preferably a really anticipated, blockbuster-type movie.

11. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I'd suggest something with lots of profanity, explosions, gun fights, and if possible a couple of sex scenes to round things out. Very stimulating for babies, and no one will judge you.

12. beanpole

beanpole Member

Movies are tremendously loud. I think it's a bad idea for any kid too little to understand the concept and follow along the story to some extent -- my kid is 5 now but he still jumps when the lights go down and the theater cranks up the surround sound.

Draft saved Draft deleted