1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AT&T stops selling the iPhone in New York City

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 27, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

We must emphasize that we are not making this up. According to an AT&T tech-support minion, "New York is not ready for the iPhone. You don't have enough towers to handle the iPhone."

http://consumerist.com/2009/12/att-customer-service-new-york-city-is-not-ready-for-the-iphone.html

No, this is not a surprise: AT&T Network Struggling In iPhone-Dense Urban Areas & Customers Angered as iPhones Overload AT&T & Apple Genius says 30 percent iPhone call-drop rate is average in New York

By late this afternoon, AT&T told its minions to say that iPhone orders had been cut off to New York City due to "increased fraudulent activity in that area when ordering the iPhone."

http://www.gearlog.com/2009/12/att_nixes_online_iphone_sales.php

That laughter you hear in the background is probably a bunch of Verizon executives looking at maps.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I've read studies that say it's actually the iPhone having problems connecting w/AT&T's service. AT&T's service is rated as the best when using devices other than the iPhone.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Probably because iPhone users are gobbling up more bandwidth.

4. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Read the same thing (I believe in the NYTimes) about it being an iPhone problem and not an AT&T problem, but since AT&T has no interest in jeopardizing its relationship with Apple won't say so.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Before the iPhone -- and even more so since -- Verizon had much more reliable service in the NYC area than AT&T. I can't speak for anywhere else in the country, except for times traveling. I know people with an iPhone who also have a second phone with Verizon, for reliable service.

6. derwood

derwood Active Member

I use a 3G Blackberry on ATT in NYC - it used be horrible and now it is getting worse. My phone goes into network search mode in Manhattan and its battery is drained in two hours, works perfectly elsewhere. Thankfully, I can disable 3G on my BB otherwise I would need to charge it five times a day.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Good. I've hated AT&T since Dec. 2002. The T-Mobile MyTouch is working great, though. Come on over!

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Love my iPhone, hate the service -- but only, strangely, the AT&T phone service. Data is actually pretty good. But I live on top of a hill in a major city. If I can't talk on the phone, who can?

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Almost everyone I know hates the service on their iPhones. I was thinking about getting one when I upgrade soon, but now I'm not so sure.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

That was an AT&T executive making excuses, if I recall correctly. And AT&T's service is rated as best only by AT&T.

My iPhone works great on T-Mobile. :)

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I love my Iphone. I was a huge Verizon fanboi so it took a lot of convincing from colleagues to get me to switch; glad I did. I actually get better reception at 1 of my residences, and equal reception at the second. I can't remember the last time I dropped a call while commuting.

FWIW just heard about 5 minutes ago on CNBC that analysts predict the AT&T exclusivity deal with Apple runs out in the 3rd quarter, so look for Iphone to go to Verizon in the summer of 2010.

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I love my iPhone. Have had no problems with it at all, other than my stepsons draining the battery by playing games for several hours.

Draft saved Draft deleted