1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At risk of inciting a SJ riot ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm in western Pennsylvania right now. My hotel room is DIRECTLY ABOVE the god damn hotel bar, so in the spirit of "If I can't beat them, join them" I went down to have a few beers.

I figured I'd also get some unintentional humor, a la, drunks dancing to shit like Whoop! There It Is!, and I wasn't disappointed.

As far as the drinking itself, when in Pittsburgh do as Yinzers do, so I ordered a Iron City Yuengling. Partially going on the recommendation of east coast SJers who swear by the stuff.

Wait a minute. I have to stop this post mid-stream ... someone is fucking pretty loudly in the room behind me. Stupid bass from the bar! I can't hear shit!

OK the music in the bar stopped and this is REALLY loud now. This chick is screaming, "Fuck me!" audibly enough for me to hear it loud and clear. I have to hand it to the dude, his pacing is good. I'll hear a lull and think it's BYH over there, but then the action starts again. This is much better than fucking Sweeney Todd on HBO. I was going to order Pineapple Express on PPV, but I think I'm getting far more out of the freebie show than the $12.99 I'd have dropped on the movie.

OK back to the post. Uhh, what was this about? Oh yeah ... Yuengling.

I won't go so far to say it sucks, but ... it's definitely overrated. It's in that Fat Tire mode of beers that is supposed to be so damn good, but it's really not. Too bitter, but not bitter enough to be interesting, I just didn't dig it.

I don't have a lot of patience for these mass-produced beers that act like they're not mass-produced. I know Yuengling isn't mass-produced like Budweiser, but if a beer is distributed in more than one state, it's mass-produced.

Anyway, it's overrated. That was the original point of the post before I was, uh, distracted.

Update: The chick is in some sort of afterglowish orgasmode. I think they're still fucking, but I'm not sure. Oh yeah ... they are. She just said, "I don't think it can get any better than that." Shit. I heard it ... Christ almighty I can think of someone less than 10 feet away who would put that poser to shame.

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

3. Bubbler

Tell me about it. I swear to God, that post is in real time. I made not one single word of it up.

I think the coitus was interruptus by a bunch of friends who came back from a wedding reception.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I love Yuengling, and I love almost everything about it. But I'm with you on Fat Tire, Bubbs. I had it a few weeks ago, and the aftertaste got to me. It's good going down, but the exhale tastes like wood (and not that kind, so I've heard).

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've never thought of Yuengling as bitter, because I can't stand bitter beers.

6. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Did their friends stay in the room? Criminey. ... And please, don't hesitate for our entertainment if there's a part two.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Fat Tire is terrible.

8. Bubbler

Maybe I had some variation of regular Yuengling, it was out of the tap so I don't know. That's a possibility because I've had Yuengling one other time and thought it was good when I last had it.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

[​IMG]

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Bubs, Yuengling is mass-produced. It's not a microbrew, at least according to what some beer snobs tell me. It's just not produced as extensively as Budweiser.

Now, if you want to argue that there are better beers, specifically microbrews, I'll give you that. But as far as large-scale production goes, Yuengling is better than all the other options available to me (Bud, Miller, Coors).

11. Bubbler

Investigation in progress. Mainly, through my thin-as-fuck hotel walls in this plush Crowne Plaza, I'm trying to figure out what bullshit this dude is feeding this chick after the act.

Pretty much. I gave it a second chance in Fargo, N.D. last week and didn't like it again. It's no Schlitz that's for damn sight.

12. Bubbler

I hear you, but I'm not so sure about that. I think Bud and Miller both get grief from people who have been conditioned for the last decade or so to be beer snobs. Neither of them are really all that bad for a mass-produced beer.

Coors, on the other hand, eats ass.

Schlitz, in its current incarnation that revives its pre-1970s formula, is a lot like Yuengling in that it's a regionally-produced beer. Me likey.

Draft saved Draft deleted