1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At least he was pounding the strike zone

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, May 16, 2011.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Vin Mazzaro became the first pitcher to give up 14 earned runs in a game since 1919 tonight when he gave up 14 earned in 2.1 IP against the Cleveland Indians. How pissed should he be at Ned Yost for leaving him out there when he obviously didn't have his stuff? To be fair to Yost, KC starter Kyle Davies lasted only 2/3 of an inning before being replaced with an injury. But 14 friggin runs, including 10 in the fourth?? Mazzaro gave up 10 in the fourth and was sent back out for the fifth. That's amazing.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I thought this was going to be a Poin thread.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I thought this was a d_b for Masturbation Month.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

He's pissed on his way back to Omaha. Keitz will be full of fire this afternoon.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Heard a little bit on the radio. When they said Mazarro it sounded like Bizarro. Guess it actually was.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

i loved the noting everywhere that ''no pitcher has ever given up 14 runs in a game before.' no crap. hmmm. wonder why that would be... ::) ::)

damn, i would've pulled OLB by 13... ;)

well, maybe not. but y'all get the point. :)

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is that really being said? Because it's false. In 1998, the A's left Mike Oquist out to give up 14 runs in five innings against the Yankees.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

my bad, indeed. guess i was listening with half an ear -- it's the most EARNED runs allowed by a pitcher in 2 1/3 innings or less, 2 runs shy of the record of 16 set in '23.

guess that's the incredible, inhumane part to me. i mean, it's not as if he struggled through 5 or 6 innings and in the 7th things REALLY got away from him. although, never mind, i just can't envision ANY sitch where a manager is justified keeping the poor guy out there. if you're trying to spare your bullpen, bring in a position player to pitch, for cryin' out loud. turn it into something fun for everyone to laff about; don't punish the pitcher this way by becoming the clown of 'sportscenter' for a night.

cripes, any decent local news station is splicing together all 14 runs for folks to chortle over tonight. this was nothing less than pitcher abuse.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I remember the Oquist one and the A's were actually pretty humane about it -- manager fell on his sword afterward and said the guy gave a gutty performance, they just had nobody else they could run out there, and you can't really start throwing outfielders in the fourth inning or the Yankees are seriously going to score 40 runs.

This one, though ... yeah they hung Mazzaro out there and then further humiliated him with the demotion.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

As I said on the baseball thread, welcome to the wonderful world of Ned Yost, Royals fans! He never has a Plan B.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

just speaking for myself, i'd rather risk losing 40-1 by pitching only position players than end up losing like this with a legit pitcher taking a pounding of this magnitude. but maybe that's just me...

Draft saved Draft deleted