1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At least 4 people shot in Mercer Park in Jersey City

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

But but but THE MEDIAAA MAKES SUCH A BIG DEAL ABOUT IT, what's such a big deal about those nine people?

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This is a journalism board. If you don't know what the difference is between nine people, including a senator, being shot to death in a church while praying and a shooting out in public where a lesser number of people died, or did not die at all, and none of those people were a public figure, then you need to give back your journalism diploma because you did not earn it yet.

If you are here just to fuck up a board and drive people off by being obtuse and a dick, then, well, you are playing the clown like you always do.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Tell that to the guy who started this thread.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Unless you're a public figure, you ain't shit.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Headline says at least four shot, story says three. I've been here 13 months, never heard of Mercer Park. Probably because it is in Bayonne and not Jersey City.

But, yeah, this stuff is getting way out of hand

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

You're right, it is in Bayonne, but right on the border. JC police responded.

3 people shot in Mercer Park in Bayonne, police say | NJ.com

The border of JC/Bayonne has been shady for years. Close to the border in JC used to be the Curries Woods projects, which were torn down. In the late 80s that was one of the least friendly places in JC and NJ. Willie Banks, the No. 3 pick in 1987 (when Ken Girffey Jr was No. 1) grew up there and one of the first things he did after getting drafted by the Twins was buy his mom a house so she could move away from there.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Daggone they need some editors:

Police initially believed that a woman who was found with a bloodied leg had been shot, but it turned out that she fell fleeing the shooting scene and fell; and was injured.

8. cjericho

Some editors? You don't read nj.com that often. Can't swear to it, but pretty sure when YF posted this the headline did say JC and also 4 shot. If you do take a look at nj.com you'll see the readers comments often serve as copy editors.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Is there any way we can blame this shooting on a flag?

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I guess you are wondering why the local paper did not go A1 with the guy who committed suicide down the street or ran a big feature when the guy at the deli's son died from brain cancer.

11. cjericho

The confusion here can't really be blamed on nj.com and the Jersey Journal, which usually is the case. It could have been even more of a question because there used to be a Hudson County police dept. Although maybe that would have made it easier because they would have been responsible..

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

People have been partying on basketball courts for as long as there have been basketball courts. It's how hip-hop got started!

Was thinking about a similar question to the one Batman mentions above when I heard about the shootings on the beach in Tunisia earlier in the week. They say this doesn't happen elsewhere, but it does. It's just that the killers are labeled differently (militants, terrorist, protestor). As for the thread itself, this in no way should be compared to Charleston. My guess would be that the killer and victim in this case knew each other in some fashion. My bet would be it is a neighborhood beef or gang-related. That is far different than a psycho racist going into a place of worship and gunning down 9 innocent people. I'm sure there were innocent folks killed in this instance, as well, and that is tragic, but it is still not the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted