1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At least 12 dead in shooting at California bar

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by melock, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This always makes me feel so much better.

Like when the Vegas guy shot up 500 people. It wasn't until I was reading this board that I found out that the guns were perfectly legal!

It is awesome that these terrorists are performing mass killings with legal weapons. I feel like the system works.

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Any day now that bump stock ban is going to go into effect.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

After Tree of Life, there were stories about so many wonderful older people who had lived lives full of kindness of community service. Here, it's mostly young people who were just starting out. I'm fucking sick of all of this.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

It's heartbreaking, but the story of the security guard really struck me. A 48-year-old man who had recently changed careers and opened his own business. Still, he had to get a job at a bar working security to pay the bills. And now he is gone.

8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

When British regulars start pouring across the Niagara frontier again, you'll be glad that militia is there to be called up.

9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Have said it before, Space Coast area of Florida is our happy place and I almost once took a job in Fort Lauderdale that would sort out the visa issues, we love Florida.

The last 2 years we have shifted to no fucking way about living anywhere in the US if the chance came up. I know statistically the chances are minute of getting killed in a mass shooting but they are just so regular now that we wouldn’t go.

Fucked up culture.

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

In 2017, more than 37,000 people were killed in traffic accidents in the U.S. That's more than 100 people per day (and yet it's nearly half as many as were dying in the 1970s). Your chances of getting run over by a blue-haired old lady crossing A1A in Cocoa Beach (hopefully not my mother) are significantly greater -- or even being hit by lightning -- than being randomly shot, not that either is preferable. Go to the beach.

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812603

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I know the chances are statistically insignificant, just can’t wrap my head around how common it is.

Emotional reaction wins out over logical reaction. Actions were taken to make traffic safer but the inverse is true when it comes to gun culture.

My father in law grew up on the Canadian prairies, was always around long guns, never a big deal.

15 years in Florida and now he carries wherever he goes. Had some sort of concealed carry weapon org sticker on his truck and they are supposed to be his first call if he ever discharges his weapon. His new wife has an assortment of pistols, packs to go to Publix.

I just don’t get it.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    maumann likes this.
  12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I want to back up @Iron_chet here. I also know the risks of actually being caught in a mass shooting are low. (The poor guy who was in both Las Vegas and Thousand Oaks... Like, what are the odds?) But there is something about being here, knowing how many people carry guns... I go back to Canada, and I can literally feel my shoulders relax as soon as I cross the border.

Again, I know it's somewhat (though not entirely) irrational. It's an involuntary physical response.

It also raises an interesting philosophical choice. What's the truer freedom? Is it freedom to carry a gun, or is it freedom not to be surrounded by guns?

Iron_chet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted