1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At a small paper, should a car show be sports or news?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Illino, Jul 1, 2011.

1. skwid

skwid New Member

The section says "Sports" at the top, not "Men." Therefore, the car show goes to the news section.

2. To assume that only men care about car shows is a bit sexist in its own right, no?

What I'm getting at is that we should just start a Car Show section.

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

At our paper, Auto. Then again, we're in metro Detroit, and our calendar of car shows and weekly cruises is more than 60 inches right about now. And, we had our region's major cruise last Saturday (our paper is a major sponsor). Yeah, classic cars are a big deal around here. Our photo editor even has one - he showed me the pictures yesterday.

4. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Definitely news.

Point the sports staff in the direction of the local Little League field.

5. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

You really have to ask this question?

6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Unless you're talking about the one in Detroit, is it even worth covering at all? I've been to some pretty pathetic events trying to pass themselves off as "car shows." One I covered when I was in Florida consisted of about a dozen cars from the 70's and 80's (not super cars or sports cars, just average family sedans) and one F150 that was a couple years old. I could barely contain the laughter that someone was actually trying to call this a car show.

7. marvinhall05

marvinhall05 New Member

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

At most weeklies I've seen, it would be the Page 1 centerpiece. And by August, you will be hip deep in football previews anyway.

That said, I almost wish I had gone to ColdCat's show and been able to do a column.

9. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

It was part of 4th of July festivities at a mega-church on the westside of Jacksonville. If you're not doing anything tomorrow, drop by. They'll probably have one this year too.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

BYH thinks they should move the car show to L.A.

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

no brainer...keep this off the sports pages, unless the car show buys and ad and requests it run in sports :)

News...if they want it.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

At least you can get a 20-minute break in at the car show.

Draft saved Draft deleted