1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Astros hit with 1-year suspensions for manager, GM, and heavy draft penalties UPDATE: Sox fire Cora

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Jan 13, 2020.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Messed up, meant to respond to "Crane fires Hinch & Luhnow"

WOW, if there was something that said "No f***ing ar0und" this is close. Of course they still keep title.

You can't vacate the title, then the Dodgers raise a banner? That would look stupid; maybe no one wins? That's an even worse look for MLB.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Does Hinch ever get another job in MLB?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So now they get to keep the title and start fresh with a new GM and manager?

heyabbott likes this.
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Barry Bonds and Lance Armstrong wish that were true

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If they are fired for cause, they lose their money, if they are suspended, they lose their money. If they are just let go, they get their contracts paid off.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

1 year > (likely) banishment. /Payton

[​IMG]

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Ask Justin Verlander if it was worth it and he’ll show you his ring

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

First thing I thought of.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This is the first I've seen of this tidbit.
    More on penalties: MLB has placed former #Astros assistant GM Brandon Taubman on its ineligible list.
    That f*cking weasel Taubman is gone for good.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It would look very, very bad for a major sport to vacate a title. Leave that to the literal amateurs in the NCAA.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Probably a lot sooner than Luhnow. SI had a story about the new wave of cheating in MLB - computer hacking, video surveilance etc. Baseball is hard enough to watch with the lack of action - but when games are being "won or lost" in computers or off the field - it makes the sport even less compelling. I'd rather watch Billions. Verducci mentions that a lot of this mentality has been pushed by the Wall Street types becoming more prominent in the sport - I imagine those who come from the world of hedge funds will do anything for an edge.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Manfred not dicking around.

Draft saved Draft deleted