1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Astros hit with 1-year suspensions for manager, GM, and heavy draft penalties UPDATE: Sox fire Cora

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Here's what I don't get. For all the high technology razzle-dazzle, the final means of communicating info to an Astros batter, banging on a garbage can, was as primitive and open as could be. I fail to believe it went on for a season without some opponent catching onto it. Why didn't they react in the simplest most direct means possible? If, as I have read, the banging meant a breaking ball, how come no team just threw chin-high, chin-tight fastballs when they heard the noise? That would get batters distrusting their sign stealers in a big hurry. My conclusion is that if there was no such retaliation, it means that Houston was very far from the only team doing this sort of thing and the strict punishments given the Astros are part discipline and several parts a "cut it out, the rest of you" message sent to all other teams.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Like this?

poindexter likes this.
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Good point. All the reports have no discipline for the players involved. They should add the word yet to the end of it.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You can fine me $5 if I reap $60 for whatever it was I did.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

They probably have 20 years to pay back that $5M.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Let's say that the world series was worth an extra $60 million to the team, is it likely that the fallout from having gotten caught is going to cost the Astros money moving forward in terms of licensing revenue, ticket sales, ticket prices, and if so, how much?

Whatever benefit the team got from the World Series, it will give back at least some of it, in terms of the black eye and the fallout moving forward.

I'm not saying whatever revenue that accrued because of the world series doesn't matter, but for the owners of pro sports teams, the real value is in the rising franchise values. And the bragging rights and ego boost of being a champion. Drayton McLane isn't into the Astros because he needs it to pay his bills. He's a multibillionaire. He owns the Astros because it is the mother of all rich men's toys. The scandal, and being labeled a cheater, is going to hurt someone like that as much, or more, than however millions of dollars you fine the team.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This is correct if you assume McLane has a soul, and is capable of human emotions like embarrassment.

From what I've seen in the last five months from Luhnow, and that asswipe Taubman, I'm convinced they don't have a soul, and are completely incapable of feeling shame, or self-consciousness.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Also worth asking how much the Astros cost opposing players by cheating.

Every batter who missed a performance incentive in his contract by a point or two; every team that missed the playoffs and didn't pay out a bonus.

Restitution and amends in this case are pretty complex.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, and I am also living in the past. Drayton McClane sold the Astros. ... I should have said Jim Crane.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

THAT would be a great story or #30for30.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The solution to this is simplicity itself. Get rid of replay. Baseball doesn't need it, did fine without it and only its obsessive NFL envy led to it in the first place. Is there a single fan who's ever said, "boy replay has really enhanced my baseball experience"? I'm gonna say no.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Yeah, no. We're about to start switching to electronic strike zones and you think MLB will go backward? Good luck with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted