1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Astros hit with 1-year suspensions for manager, GM, and heavy draft penalties UPDATE: Sox fire Cora

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Jan 13, 2020.

1. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Alex Cora will never manage another big league game.

Armchair_QB likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not my day here. 2017. I denounce myself.

I blame soccer.

Sea Bass likes this.
  3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Players have a union. Managers and GMs don’t.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Also, holy shit will the opening day of Red Sox spring training be fun.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anyone saying the Astros should have had their WS win vacated probably missed the graphic tonight during the championship game highlighted qbs who went undefeated, won the title and the Heisman in the same year. Leinart and the 2004 USC team was in the graphic. So despite losing two wins and the BCS title - nobody really cares this long after the fact. The scholarship penalties - which were brought up during every TV broadcast for three years - did far more and lasting damage.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

agreed. This is why no players are getting it

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Managers also don't have anything near the leverage that players do. Joe Torre got a $7.5 million a year contract from the Yankees in the 2000s. Mike Scoscia got a 10-year, $50 million contract from the Angels. Since then, managers salaries have been in a free fall. And teams treat them like they are disposable and easily replaceable.

I believe Cora gets $800K a year from the Red Sox. If he balked at that, I suspect they would have taken a "C'est la vie" attitude and found someone else who would work in that salary range. ... and not feel like they were losing anything. Which is why I wouldn't be surprised if what someone said earlier about Cora never managing another game is going to be true. There are a lot of potential managers, not a ton of jobs, and teams don't seem to value them beyond a certain amount. Even if there was a manager's union, it would be working with such little leverage that it wouldn't be able to command the contract terms that players can. Players are way more valuable to teams.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Red Sox reward Cora, extend deal through '21

On Wednesday, the Red Sox gave Cora a new deal that included a one-year extension through the 2021 season and, most likely, a significant raise. Terms were not announced.

From MLB.com's story:

The new contract boosts the amount of money Cora will make per season while tacking on an additional year.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Any Dodgers fan who wants their team to be retroactively awarded a title is the height of lame. Ya got cheated; it sucks. But you suck it up and move on. Anything else is a bad look, mainly because it's never going to happen.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This is still more egregious than the back to back World Series losses to cheaters.

[​IMG]

Where my tainted pee at? lol

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Armchair_QB likes this.
  11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I have no problem asterisking the batting title.
    Rob Dibble accused Altuve of cheating as early as 2016.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Also seems to be weirdly unspoken that Luhnow was in St. Louis for nearly 10 years. Surely the righteous Cardinals are above all this monkey business.

Armchair_QB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted