1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Astros fire manager and general manager

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Aug 27, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

To the World Series one year, fired two years later. Could Ozzie face the same fate?

2. scribeinwiscy

scribeinwiscy Member

Cooper will be a good coach. Just not sure it's now.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Purpura was in way over his head. Garner had name value in Houston, but was otherwise a generic manager who didn't bring anything special. The Astros can do better in both spots.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Can Purpura really get credit for 05? Pretty much every piece was in place when he took over wasn't it?

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Dammit. Why couldn't this be "Brewers fire their manager"?

Good for Coop though.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yeah, that was mostly Hunsicker's team.

7. healingman

healingman Guest

As longtime Astros fan, Tal Smith will bring needed guidance and strength to that GM role. Purpura, yes, was in over his head. Garner was and is a fan favorite and, unfortunately, didn't have the jets this year working for him. Now here's a thought: Is it time for Drayton McLane to sell the Astros to Nolan Ryan's group? I mean, Ryan's group runs the Astros' Triple-A affiliate in Round Rock (near Austin) and Double-A affiliate in Corpus Christi. Both franchises have great ballparks and are run on the up-and-up. That type of success could ... I say, could ... carry the Astros to the bigger rung. Potentially back to the Series.

Just a thought......

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think Steve Phillips is available ...

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If Ozzie stays, it's because Jerry Reinsdorf hates Mariotti more than losing.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

When did pennants become not special?

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I agree. It's not like every manager in Houston's history won a pennant. Twenty-eight managers a year don't win a pennant, and some never do. Garner's got to get a little bit of credit for 2005, even if his team was laughed out of the Series by the best team in baseball.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

And he'll be the first one to tell you what a great job he will do.

Draft saved Draft deleted