1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

astros beat writer ripping mlb on outside the lines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by whatwoulddamondo?, Sep 23, 2008.

1. did anyone else see this on outside the lines just now?

they had the houston chronicle's astros beat writer -- i believe his name is jose de jesus ortiz -- ripping selig for moving the astros series to milwaukee last week, basically carrying drayton mclane's water.

at the end, said writer fires off a shot at some scribe, who he claims has "been trying to get a job with mlb for two years."

especially on a show such as otl, i was troubled by this. i don't have any dog in this hunt, but can't a reporter offer his opinion without being biased?

otl usually does some decent stuff, especially on the sunday show. i was disappointed in this "effort," though.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Selig deserved to be ripped.

3. why? mclane refused to have the series moved, period, until it was too late. and it was blatant that the chronicle writer was carrying mclane's water.

mlb did the best they could have done with a bad situation.

the real issue i have is claiming some writer is trying to get a job at mlb, hence why that writer defended selig...got any real proof for that, sensei?

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Hmm, what makes me think you <b>do</b> have a dog in this hunt?

5. trust me, far, far from the sphere of mlb influence. or from houston fandom.

just thought it was a bush-league move on the writer's part. in an era where everyone says journalists aren't impartial, and in an era where credibility is paramount, it does nothing to help the cause.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I guess I feel this way about that ... we are critical of people all the time as reporters -- fairly or unfairly. So if we are critical of each other, them's the breaks.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

He's on the show to offer an opinion. Offering an opinion means you have a position on an issue. How does "impartial" play into this?

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

McLane may well have dithered in the face of the obvious by not moving the Cubs series on his own, nevertheless I find it very disturbing that Bud Selig moved an Astros home series with the Cubs to a venue 90 miles from Chicago, especially when he had to know the outcome would positively affect the playoff fortunes of the Brewers, the team which he once owned. At the very least it gives the appearance of a gross conflict of interest on Selig's part. I mean, was Miller Park really the best option available to MLB or just the one most convenient for Selig?

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This may be his second appearance on OTL. Or maybe it was BBTN. I swear I remember him having the same sort of take right after the series in Milwaukee.

10. smasher, yes, he can offer an opinion, but to claim some guy is just running cover-2 for selig because he's trying to get a job with mlb? i thought that was a bush-league move. throwing colleagues under the bus? has this business turned into a 24-7 version of around the horn?

11. richard justice, who i respect a lot, was on espn last week mentioning this same thing, and saying how mlb demanded the series be played in a domed/roofed stadium -- and milwaukee was the closest not impacted by the weather (tampa was the other option, apparently).

look, this was a horrible situation all-around...i just found it funny that you had a writer carrying the owner's water on air, then broadsiding another writer and saying HE was carrying mlb's water in order to extract a paycheck from 'em. call it irony, bullshit, whatever.

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

WHERE IS ALL THIS WATER COMING FROM!?

It hasn't rained here in weeks.

Draft saved Draft deleted