1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ass't sports editor, The Gazette (Laurel, Md.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

From JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=964626

The Gazette, a group of weekly community newspapers, is seeking an assistant sports editor for our Prince George’s County office in Laurel, Md.

We publish eight zoned print editions a week, and we’re looking for a creative thinker as we prepare to expand our Web presence with a daily online package. Duties will include a mix of editing, page layout, writing and managing staffers and freelancers. Our five-person sports staff primarily covers a group of 30 high schools with an emphasis on enterprise stories, off-the-field news and vibrant game coverage. The right person will be able to write and edit tightly and generate story ideas. Previous editing experience is preferred. Quark Xpress experience, reliable transportation and evening/weekend work are required.

Send resume and clips to Sports Editor Seth Elkin, 13501 Virginia Manor Road, Laurel, MD 20707 or send e-mail to selkin@gazette.net. No phone inquiries please.

The Gazette offers a competitive package of benefits, including health and dental insurance, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement and a 401(k) plan. EOE.

The Gazette is a Washington Post-owned series of papers that publish weeklies in the DC/Metro area. Laurel is a fine place to cut your teeth (this job probably isn't for seasoned veterans) and Seth seems like a good guy, from the brief time I've spoken to him. There's plenty of high-caliber sports in the area, and people from this chain have gone on to Washington Post at some point. I'd expect pay to be around $24k or so.

2. Seth Elkin

Seth Elkin New Member

Thanks Jay. I was about to come here and post this, but you're one step ahead of me. Your estimate of the pay is low. I can't be more specific, but it'll be more than that. It's an editing position that will do some writing as well, and we hope to hear from some candidates with a few years of experience.

3. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Cool, Seth. Thanks for stopping in. I spoke to you briefly about stringing for you this summer before my current shop extended an offer. Also, glad to hear I lowballed the pay. :p

4. JME

JME Member

The pay, I believe, is decent for a weekly but still tough for the D.C. area. The guys in sports there are very cool. I don't think anyone goes to the Post from there so I wouldn't go into it hoping for that.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

There is opening for just a writer as well.

6. aymanalam

aymanalam New Member

Sent in letter, resume and clips to their office - but alas, no answers. Anyone know if this is still open? Filled? Anything at all?

7. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

You're... ah, forget it

8. aymanalam

aymanalam New Member

What? So confused...

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Send an e-mail asking if the editor received your stuff. If so, the obvious answer is you're not hired.

10. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

Salary is $32K. And no, they haven't hired anyone yet, but interviews are starting. Good luck finding an apartment in that area for less than $1,000 a month. More likely it'll be closer to $1,500. I think it's a good opportunity for someone, but the cost of living in most of Maryland is sky-high, and unfortunately that's a big factor here.

11. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

That's not entirely true. Laurel is significantly cheaper than Columbia, Baltimore, D.C. or College Park.

I'm seeing a handful of places on Craigslist in the $800 range, and on Rent.com there were a few more in that range. If you get a roommate, you are looking at about $600 a month.

12. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

ApartmentRatings.com doesn't have many nice things to say about those places in the $800-$900 range. And from what I can tell, that whole area is pretty expensive, especially the closer you get to D.C.
    I will say this: Seth is a standup guy and was very upfront about the cost of living in that area. He even suggested several smaller towns to check out. Unfortunately, the picture didn't change much.
    Again, great opportunity if cost isn't a huge factor for you. It's just hard to imagine paying $1,000+ when you're used to $600 or less.

Draft saved Draft deleted