1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Asst. sports editor, The Columbia Missourian

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by alex.riley21, Jul 25, 2013.

1. alex.riley21

alex.riley21 Member

A good friend of mine from college sent this to me on Facebook this morning. My days of sitting in a classroom and working part-time are done but for someone this could be a helluva gig.

Here's a good deal for a sports journalist who's interested in furthering his or her education and getting the chance to work with students: Sports journalists:
    Earn a master's degree at the Missouri School of Journalism while editing the sports section for the APSE award-winning Columbia Missourian http://www.columbia/missourian.com/

We're looking for sports reporters or editors with at least three years' experience to serve as assistant sports editor for the newspaper that's managed by professionals and produced by journalism students. You'll help manage young reporters eager to get their first clips; they have the passion but need direction. You will coordinate with photo department, desk editors and make story assignments. You'll edit stories and write headlines for both online and print.
    This part-time graduate teaching assistantship allows you to pursue a master's degree at one of the world's best journalism schools. Need more incentives? Included are:

* Salary (20 hours/week @ $16/hour)

* full waiver of both resident and non-resident tuition (you pay no tuition)

* health insurance

* $1,000 per year for two years toward expenses to the annual APSE convention

* $500 per year for two years toward expenses for projects

These benefits are on a 12-month basis; the Missourian is a year-round, digital and print, community newspaper.

Candidates must complete an application to the graduate program by Sept. 1; GRE scores can be submitted by Sept. 28.

Entry into the graduate program would be for spring semester, 2014.

Questions? Contact graduate advisor Martha Pickens pickensm@missouri.edu

Martha Pickens
    Graduate Academic Advisor and Fiscal Manager
    Journalism Graduate Studies
    School of Journalism
    179C Gannett Hall
    University of Missouri
    Columbia, MO 65211-1200

573-882-9493 (phone)
    573-884-5302 (fax)
    pickensm@missouri.edu

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

One of my great regrets is that, in two runs at this in the 1990s, I didn't get one of these Missourian gigs.
    Strongly recommended.

3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Despite the cut in pay and hours, this is very tempting just to get a paid-for Masters at one of the top J-schools ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted