1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Associate Sports Editor — Daily Tribune News (Cartersville, Ga.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by eagle9857, Jul 9, 2009.

1. eagle9857

eagle9857 New Member

Company: The Daily Tribune News
    Position: Associate Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Web site: www.daily-tribune.com

Description: The Daily Tribune News, a six-day (Sunday-Friday) daily is in search of an associate sports editor. The primary duties are coverage of five local high schools, and layout and design. An associate sports editor needs to be able to provide game coverage and write feature stories as well. This is a two-man staff (sports editor and associate sports editor). A journalism degree is preferred, but not required. Prior experience and photography skills are a plus. Health and dental insurance is included, as is a 401k program (with a generous match offer) and paid vacation after one year on staff. The sports section was recently awarded with a top 10 special section from the Associated Press of Sports Editors in the under-20,000 category.

The Daily Tribune News is an equal-opportunity employer. The publication offers a drug-free workplace, and drug screening is mandatory for new employees. Send resume and work samples to Chris Stephens, sports editor, at sports@daily-tribune.com.

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Extra points for excellent title inflation.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Is Cartersville considered metro Atlanta these days?

4. eagle9857

eagle9857 New Member

Cartersville is about 30-40 minutes from Atlanta, depending on how heavy of a right foot you have. Some interesting notes about Cartersville: NFL running back Ronnie Brown is from there, the baseball team just won a state title with the No. 3 pick in this year's MLB Draft on the team - Donavan Tate. It's also the place where last year's national story "The Pitch" happened.

5. ARose17

ARose17 Member

Also the home of my favorite golf course in Georgia...Green Valley Greens

6. foghat60

foghat60 New Member

Former Georgia Tech and Georgia running backs Robert Lavette and Keith Henderson also are from Cartersville. As is "Newman" from Seinfeld. Nice area. 5 minutes from Red Top Mtn state park and Lake Allatoona. And yes, it is considered metro Atlanta.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Another spot where turnovers pop up a little too often. Beware.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

It's in Bartow County, the northernmost county on I-75 included in the official Metro Atlanta area. As far as turnover, it's a small daily. There is going to be turnover. People have ambition and want to make more money at some point. Unlike the infamous paper one county to the south, however, I've not heard much in the way of negatives about how employees in Cartersville are treated. I wouldn't be concerned about the turnover in Cartersville. OTOH, I also wouldn't go into this with expectations of covering big-time stuff on a regular basis. It's a staff of two, and preps is the bread and butter. The lack of a Saturday paper would concern me; your biggest sports event, high school football games, won't be in until Sunday.

9. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I was thinking that too, novelist. That basically leads you to shift gears and instead of doing a straight gamer, doing something more along the lines of the "optional" that AP usually moves to supplement a gamer. It's more featurized typically.

My last shop was a twice-weekly, and my football stories wouldn't run until Wednesday ... five days later. That meant I had several more days to think about the game and a different approach, but it was still challenging...

10. foghat60

foghat60 New Member

It's not a bad gig. Sports coverage is preps and rec stuff, and they used to cover the Rome Braves once in a while (not sure if that's still the case). Cartersville HS has great tradition in football and baseball. The pay is probably high 20s for the ASE. Turnover is really no worse than any other paper that size. The previous SE left for a sportswriter job at the Columbus (GA) paper 2-3 years ago and is now the SE at the Athens Banner Herald. Circ is around 7,000.

11. eagle9857

eagle9857 New Member

Found out the pay is $450/week for the first 90 days and then it goes to $475/week. It's not much, but we all know the state of the newspaper business.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not worth it but it is a gig.

Draft saved Draft deleted