1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Associate or assistant SE?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by brainlessjon, Apr 3, 2013.

1. brainlessjon

brainlessjon New Member

In your newsroom, what's the difference between the assistant and associate sports editor positions? Are there specific tasks associated with the two positions?

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

At the two places I've been that had the associate position, there were no real differences in the duties, just a matter of rank with the associate being higher.

Paper A (110k, no Sunday): sports editor (administrative and lead desk four times a week), associate (NFL beat and lead desk), assistant (MLB beat and lead desk).

Paper B (large metro): executive sports editor (administrative), sports editor (columnist), deputy sports editor (manage desk people, lead desk three times a week), associate sports editor (manage writers, lead desk once a week), Sunday sports editor (lead desk once during week plus on Saturdays), four assistant sports editors (two for preps, one working with the writers on live stuff, one handling the huge sports weekend package that appeared Fridays).

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Usually, associate and deputy are higher on the food chain than assistant.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Six of one, half dozen of the other. And by that I mean how many people have those titles instead of actual raises.

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Say a No. 2 position was being created by a daily on the smaller side......is there a difference between calling it assistant, associate, deputy, etc, in terms of prestige or assumed responsibilities by outsiders on a resume etc?

I ask because I've really only ever heard it called assistant-----is it assumed that that's lower than some of the other titles? Or does it vary greatly based on circulation and staff size?

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I was at a place once where a guy had the title of "Deputy SE."

Of course, everybody always called him "Barney Fife" behind his back.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

When I was a writer in Richmond, we had an SE, an associate SE (the No. 2 person) and two assistant SEs. I was one of those for a while. After I became SE, a new executive editor came in and declared we would now call them deputies. And we only had one. No assistant SEs or under-deputies or whatever.

Here, they're also called deputies.

I've been fortunate in both places to have standouts in that role.

In short, every place is different in how they "title" things (including SE) and the duties. I have a friend who is "Head of Sports," another who is "Sports Topics Manager."

We all have belt buckles that say HMFIC. I'm putting mine on eBay when the shit finally hits the fan.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

People need to get over themselves and their silly-ass titles.
    Do the job, don't "be" the job.
    Have worked for too many who got that backwards.
    I thought Dwight Shrute and the "assistant to the regional manager" stuff exposed such hot-air foolishness. Guess not.

9. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

I was once Associate SE on a 14-person staff and made less than at least six staff members, including the Assistant SE.

More than half the staff had titles: Executive SE, Associate SE, Sports Editor, Assistant SE, Preps Editor, Agate Editor, College Editor, Outdoors Editor ...

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Associate shmociate.

If you want to "transition" out of journalism, it's better to have some more confusing, bureaucratic title like:

Portal manager
    Content director
    Multi-platform content provider

I think when folks in HR looking to fill PR, communications and management jobs and the like, and they see "editor" they envision someone with a red pen snippily marking up proofs.

Unless they know you, "editor" is a killer (unless you are applying for a copy editing position).

11. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

This needs to be added to the "getting out of the business" thread ... these words are absolutely correct.

12. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

This is exactly right.

Draft saved Draft deleted