1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Associate Editor, NFL.com

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jlofty, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Jlofty

Jlofty New Member

https://www.nfl.apply2jobs.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=64&CurrentPage=1

Job Title: Associate Editor
    Position Type: Full Time
    City: Culver City
    State: California
    Education Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related degree preferred
    Years of Experience: 1-3

Description:

• Select, prioritize, edit, and post content
    • Edit copy and write headlines under deadlines
    • Monitor wire feeds and other outside sources to ensure that the latest sports news is represented on the site
    • Ensure that all content is grammatically correct and factually accurate
    • Ensure that writing style used is consistent with NFL.com’s editorial policy
    • Re-write or re-work news reports
    • Serve as initial contact for reporters in the field and pull together reaction to breaking news stories
    • Write headlines and cutlines
    • Work with video editors and photo editors to select complementary storytelling elements
    • Participate in discussion of how to package content into lead stories on NFL.com

Skills / Qualifications:

• 1-3 years editorial experience, preferably in online medium and in the sports industry
    • Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related degree preferred
    • Strong written and verbal communication skills
    • Strong organizational and prioritization skills
    • Proven sports knowledge that lends itself to sound news judgment
    • Strong computer skills in Word
    • Some knowledge of HTML and Photoshop preferred
    • Experience with blog management software and understanding of social media platforms a plus

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Who wants to buy me a beer when they call and say they found a more qualified candidate?

3. Jlofty

Jlofty New Member

More qualified than whom? Than what I said I was looking for? It's certainly possible. There are a lot of experienced, highly qualified people out there, and I've already heard from a few through this board.

But I have a pretty clear idea of the type of candidate I want for this spot, and for a variety of reasons my preference is for someone on the low end of the experience scale. Hopefully that talent pool is deep. If it isn't, I'll broaden the search.

Click the link and apply, if you haven't already, and drop me a PM so I know which app to look for. We'll see where we end up. I could end up hiring you, or I could end up buying you a beer. Or both.

In the immortal words of <a href="http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=andujjo01">Joaquin Andujar</a>, "You never know."

JL

4. Public School

Public School New Member

Seems like it would be an ideal job for someone.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

dakid82, I removed your post. I imagine you don't want all your personal information on the thread. Use the "my messages" function at the top of the page to contact any other member.

6. ryedog001

ryedog001 New Member

I applied this job as well. Like to think I have a shot, given my qualifications, but I guess we'll see.

Any advice as how to land a job in this industry would be appreciated.

Thanks, all...

7. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Sounds like a pretty good gig.

8. dakid82

dakid82 New Member

Mr. Loftus,

I left you a personal message about my application and sent you an email. Can you let me know if you have gone over my resume, and if so, do I stand a chance at getting this job?

Thanks.

9. scribe1

scribe1 New Member

Looking for an inexperienced candidate over a more qualified professional. That's about right in this business these days. Guess the NFL is cutting costs too.

10. bramomac

bramomac New Member

Any news if the job has been filled or not?

11. dutchbubba

dutchbubba New Member

Any word on whether this has been filled?

Draft saved Draft deleted