1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Associate Editor, Manti [UT] **Sports Writing Involved**

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by KevinmH9, May 26, 2008.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Company: Sanpete Messenger
    Position:
    Great opportunity in community journalism
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires:
    June 26, 2008
    Job ID: 927926

Description:
    Associate Editor Sanpete Messenger Manti, UT

The award-winning Sanpete Messenger in Manti, Utah has an immediate opening for an associate editor/visual journalist to play a central role in shaping each week’s newspaper as well as supplements and special sections throughout the year.

Primary duties include creating the base computer file for each newspaper, designing and placing ads, selecting and laying out news copy, editing, and writing headlines and captions.

Secondary duties include reporting and writing, and pre-press work on print jobs. Interest in sports writing highly desirable. To some extent, duties can be shaped to your interests and skill set.

Qualifications • Prefer bachelor’s in journalism, communication, English or social sciences (will consider associate degree) • Art and design interest and aptitude • Knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Adobe Suite (In-Design, Photoshop and Illustrator) • Knowledge of AP Style • Ability to gather information, assess its significance and write it up clearly

Wonderful opportunity to learn and grow in a supportive environment, and potentially to move on to bigger things in visual journalism.

If you don’t have all the qualifications but are confident of your intelligence, writing and design sense, apply anyway—we’re willing to train.

Manti is the county seat of Sanpete County, a growing exurban area immediately south of Utah County and about 120 miles south of Salt Lake City. Manti is 6 miles from Ephraim, Utah, the home of Snow College. The area has close-knit communities and extensive hiking, biking, rock climbing, four-wheeling, fishing and hunting opportunities.

Salary: $25-$30K depending on experience, plus occasional bonuses. Generous paid time off, company-paid life insurance, possible reimbursement of medical insurance.

Email cover letter, resume, and writing or design samples if available to publisher Suzanne Dean at Suzanne@SanpeteMessenger.com. For further information, call Suzanne at (435) 835-4241 or (801) 541-3181. Application deadline: June 13

Take that bold piece for what it's worth, but doesn't sound like a bad gig. Anyone know anything about this place or the area?

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it's a weekly in the middle of nowhere, utah.

that's all i'd need to know.

did i mention utah?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Possible reimbursement of medical insurance?

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that DOES go a long way in making utah just that much better.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The ad title refers to a "great opportunity in community journalism."

Apparently I need to put my contacts back in, because I just don't see one on this thread.

6. outdoors

outdoors Member

I have been down that way a few times and let me just say, that was a few times too many.
    Ephraim is about the only thing out that way and it isn't much.
    Don't know if coverage of Snow College (JUCO) would be included, but they do have some OK athletic teams.
    The football team was good a few years back and a lot of the players transfer to, go figure, BYU.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you're not LDS (if you don't know what that is, go to the next thread) you will have a tough time adjusting in small town Utah. I doubt you'll cover Snow football as a primary beat.

Provo is a little more than an hour away. I think this is a good second stop for someone who started at a weekly. $25k goes a long way in Ephraim.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

"Community Journalism" is almost an oxymoron.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

It's a weekly in the middle of rural Utah.

For a newbie, this is a decent gig to learn, cut your teeth and move on. The paper covers the county and, I believe, 3 or 4 3A schools and a couple of smaller ones. But Snow College and turkey farms are the lifeblood of the community. You can expect to cover both if you work at this paper.

Get in, get your clips and get on your way.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I've always thought it was a euphemism for "we'll put anything in the paper with no standards whatsoever."

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't care for Manties, myself. I'd rather wear Hanes.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

This is taking "build a page" to an entirely different -- and utterly ridiculous -- level. This is <i> at least </i> three full-time jobs at most newspapers, even most weeklies.

Draft saved Draft deleted