1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Associate Director of Media Relations, Univ. of Arkansas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Associate Director of Media Relations
    University of Arkansas * Fayetteville, Ark.

The University of Arkansas at Fayetteville Department of Intercollegiate Athletics invites applications for the position of Associate Director of Media Relations. This position will serve as a primary media contact for the Razorback football program with duties including the production of press releases, game notes and media guides, maintain sections of official department Web site and other football related Web sites, Travel with football is required. Qualified applicant will schedule and coordinate football press conferences as well as serve in additional event management responsibilities. Further duties include serving as one of the assistant media contacts for other 18 intercollegiate athletic programs and other duties as assigned. Position will report to Associate Athletic Director for Media Relations and Communications and will have supervision of assistant media relations directors, interns and student assistants as assigned.

Minimum: bachelor’s degree in related field of study, working knowledge of intercollegiate athletics, familiarity with NCAA rules, computer competence and good communication skills. A minimum of two years of full-time experience in a sports information office or media relations environment is preferred. Experience in layout and design programs such as InDesign, QuarkXPress, Adobe PageMaker and statistical software is also preferred.

Applicants should submit letter of application, resume, and the name, complete address, and telephone number of at least five work references to the address listed below no later than July 24, 2008 to the address listed below:

University of Arkansas
    Associate Director for Media Relations Position
    Attn: Marjorie Dewitt
    P O Box 7777
    Fayetteville, AR 72702
    Or e-mail dewitt@uark.edu

The University of Arkansas is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer. All applicants are subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act and persons hired must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States. Women, minorities, Vietnam-era veterans, disabled veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.

2. jmb51879

jmb51879 Member

All these SID positions coming up on here now. Who knew you getting out of the business would be good for everyone?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I do what I can. The thread on j topics made me realize there's some interest so I'll throw up whatever job listings I stumble across.

4. The downsides:

1. You're in Arkansas
    2. Arkansas fans

5. dargan

dargan Active Member

At least it's not Oklahoma.

And it's the SEC.

6. It's not Arkansas, it's Northwest Arkansas. Anyone who has spent time in the state will tell you there's a world of difference.

7. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Yeah, but you have to deal with Bobby Petrino

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The new person will be an extra football person at Arkansas. Kevin Trainor isn't leaving, but instead will be working directly with Petrino and handling fewer of the overall football duties. This seems to be the wave of the future at major programs that can afford it. Alabama does this with Saban, and I think it's inevitable other SEC and major BCS programs will have a football SID and then essentially a P.R. person/SID/contact/whatever for the head coach.

9. goneup

goneup Member

Of course you will. OK, maybe not. Yes you will. No, definitely not.

10. satchmo

satchmo Member

And those in NW Arkansas will be more than happy to tell you that every time you talk to them.

11. Dude, Oklahoma may blow chunks ... but Arkansas blows major chunks.

Anything's better than .... yeah.

12. redsox99

redsox99 Member

And exactly how much time have you spent in Arkansas?

Draft saved Draft deleted