1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assoc. Media Relations Director, Cal-Berkeley

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, Feb 25, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

http://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobdetail.cfm?job=3076900

University of California, Berkeley
    Associate Media Relations Director

The University of California, Berkeley is the preeminent public university in the country, as well as one of the leading employers in the San Francisco Bay Area. We are currently seeking an Associate Media Relations Director in the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, which will oversee the media relations efforts for the football program and supervise 2-3 full-time employees.

This position provides media relations support including: writing press releases, media guides and game recaps; acting as a liaison with local and national media; writing feature stories for publication; updating the department’s website; compiling team statistics; and providing administrative support.

Requirements for this position include: a Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, a related field, or equivalent experience; strong verbal and written communication skills; familiarity with IBM-compatible software; a good understanding of applicable NCAA rules; and an understanding of web design and related software. A minimum of five years experience working in athletic media relations office is preferred.

For more information about our department, please visit calbears.com. The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This position may require a criminal background check.

TO APPLY: Please apply online at http://jobs.berkeley.edu indicating the job number 9636. All applicants should provide a cover letter, resume, references and writing samples, when applying. Applicants can add writing samples in the text box of their application, where it calls for a cover letter and resume, or, after applying online, can send samples to:

Herb Benenson,
    Assistant Athletic Director, Media Relations
    University of California Athletics
    349 Haas Pavilion
    Berkeley, CA 94720
    or by email: benenson@berkeley.edu.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

According to another site, the pay range is 48-51K. At least you know your coach will be around for a while (Tedford has a contract through 2015).

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I applied for this gig last week.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Herb should expect a TON of applications. Though the pay isn't as great as it may seem being the Bay Area.

5. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Jeremy, best of luck.
    Dan, I agree.

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Thanks.
    I think this and other SID jobs will only get more competitive as more journalists are laid off or leave the industry for fear of getting laid off.

7. DanOregon

I think college, team and league-sponsored websites are the future of the biz. Sell the "rights" to a Learfield-like company, kind of like the radio and local TV coverage.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Logging experience helpful.

CJ Creg went to Cal. Except she always said Cal Berkeley, which no self-respecting Old Blue ever says. It's Cal or California. UCLA is the branch campus.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bookmark.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Well said, for the benefit of those (like me) less familiar with the school.
    Good information.

I've a friend on the Cal campus staff.
    Were I single, I'd apply.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

Putting a hyphen on Cal is like putting a red sweater on Bob Knight at Haas Pavilion (Hi youngest Editude. ;))

12. DanOregon

They should have rolled him up.

Draft saved Draft deleted