1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assoc. Editor/Staff Writer for Cards Gameday mag

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Diabeetus, May 22, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

ASSOCIATE EDITOR/STAFF WRITER

Monthly magazine

Here's a great opportunity for a professional who loves baseball and is passionate about making each new issue better than the one before it. In this position at St. Louis Cardinals Gameday Magazine, the successful applicant will stay involved with every facet of the magazine's editorial operation - from developing, assigning and writing stories, through final page production. While on-the-job experience will enhance an applicant's candidacy, we're also eager to hear from new grads with great clips, a sharp mind and lots of initiative. Because we're a small staff, you'll learn the business in its entirety and be able to develop and implement fresh ideas. Our offices are in Busch Stadium, our monthly circulation is 25,000 and we've been publishing since 1992.

ESSENTIAL SKILLS

* Knowledge of baseball: Must follow the sport and know its history. We want to entertain and educate readers, not state the obvious or rehash what's available elsewhere.

* Editing: Excellent command of the language and a style book, with a flair for editing longer features and the commitment to do whatever it takes to improve a story.

* Writing: Develop and compose timeless features about a wide variety of baseball topics.

* Research: Accuracy is paramount, and so is insight. You should have experience using a wide range of resources to develop features you write and to clean up those submitted by others. Just as important as knowing where to look for confirmation/information, you should know which sources to avoid.

* Photography: It helps if you were a photographer in a previous life, since you'll help assign and select photos for feature articles.

* Organization/discipline: Know how to stay on task and on schedule through the entire publishing cycle.

* Computers: Macintosh skills, with some familiarity of Quark, Adobe products and similar publishing software.

SALARY/BENEFITS

Based on experience.

Send resume, clips and cover letter before May 31 to:

Steve Zesch, Cardinals Publications, 700 Clark St., St. Louis, MO 63102

2. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Would you actually be working for the Cardinals in this position or is the magazine a separate entity apart from the team?

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Honestly I'm not sure. Just got the job posting in an e-mail and thought I'd post it on the board. I'd guess you're working for the team since the office is based in Busch Stadium, though.

4. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

What do the people at this magazine do during the offseason? Does it publish 12 months a year or just in-season?

I have to admit, I've been to plenty of games at Busch and never heard of or seen this magazine anywhere, unless it's the gameday program, and I'm pretty sure that's different.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

The ad says monthly circulation, but subscriptions are for eight issues. I'd guess it publishes March through October or April through November.

Here's a link for more investigation: http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/stl/fan_forum/publications.jsp

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Anyone know anything about this?

7. Rusty Shackleford

I applied, and shortly thereafter got a letter in the mail saying they were postponing their search until early July. Haven't heard anything since and figured I was just out of consideration.

8. SportySpice

SportySpice Member

Until early JULY? Hope that's a typo. That'd be a long wait.
    Wonder what the pay is like for someone with more than, say, 10 years experience in a variety of roles in print.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

July isn't a typo. I got the same letter.

10. Rusty Shackleford

Well, July was a month ago, so I wonder if they hired somebody and just didn't bother with letting us losers know.

EDIT: Somebody who claims to be in the know just informed me that the hiring process was delayed and they haven't filled the position yet, and that interviews could still be some time away.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Well done, Russell.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I heard thru the BYH pipeline that they're not going to fill the gig until they find someone who fails his/her test for performance-enhancing drugs.

Draft saved Draft deleted