1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Sports Editor,Trenton, N.J.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Dec 27, 2006.

1. boots

boots New Member

The Trentonian, New Jersey's most exciting daily tabloid, is well-known for its incredible sports section. As Assistant Sports Editor, you will work closely with the Sports Editor and you will quarterback the layout/pagination/production efforts of the Night Sports Desk. Five years of newspaper sports experience is required. Also required is the ability to work under deadline pressure, to make good decisions and to communicate with writers and desk people in a professional, productive manner. Late nights and weekends are part of the job. If you're ready to take charge, then let's hear it: E-mail a note and resume to editor@trentonian.com.

2. JRC. Enough said.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

[​IMG]

NOW it's enough said.

4. boots

boots New Member

What bothers me more than anything else is that these places still make the mark of hiring people on a constant basis. I'm trying to figure out how do they stay in business.

5. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

This thread has been up here for seven hours and BYH has yet to make an appearance? What is going on here?

And is there any truth to the rumors that Jelenic is on his way out the door? If there is, maybe things might finally change for the better here.

6. Keystone

Keystone Member

A former colleague of mine served as interim SE there for several months "of hell." Jello-neck would call up and yell at her because the baseball boxscores wouldn't line up. He also insisted that his son be named the prep hockey player of the year four years in a row.

As long as he's in command of JRC, avoid.

7. WSKY

WSKY Member

Dennis Rodman once told me Trenton is the armpit of America.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

What year did that "Roasted Nuts" headline appear? I think I know one of the people whose byline appeared.

9. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

The most exciting daily tabloid in New Jersey. They're also the second-best daily paper in Trenton. They should have hammered that point home, too.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

His son has been out of high school for at least 6-8 years now. Had a brief career in the AHL if I recall correctly, never making it up to the NHL. Great player, but I don't know if POY quality for 4 straight years. His daughter is also a good 2-3, maybe 4 years out of high school now as well.
    Although posters here say its hell there, they've got a very strong sports department. In this market the focus is on the high school sports during the school year and the Little League road to Williamsport (baseball and softball), Babe Ruth Districts, and American Legion ball in the summer.
    Not defending it or recommending it because I've never worked there. Just saying that sports is the strongest part of the paper.

11. EStreetJoe

It's not. If you want a sandwich market (between NYC and Philly - that covers pro teams from both cities) that has Div I, Div.III, and Juco schools in its coverage area, and that has a strong focus on high school sports, then this might be the market for you.

12. EStreetJoe

I'm fairly certain it was 2002. Might have been 2001 or 2000.

Draft saved Draft deleted