1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Sports Editor, The Detroit News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Ruben_Luna, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Let us not forget they also elected John Engler three times before that and were dumb enough to run Geoffrey Fieger against him in the third election

2. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

michiganders (and i am/was one) can get defensive about the state because so much of it is defined by detroit. that's . wicked's post comes up short of the whole truth. jim_carty's post is more accurate, especially when he talks about schools, housing and recreational opportunities. grosse pointe and "up north" are far from the only two nice areas of the state. the west side of the state, for much of the lake michigan coastline, is beautiful. if you live in the metro detroit area, there are thousands of boating opportunities -- from inland lakes to lake erie to rivers.

my rather large family has lived there for generations. myself and another cousin are the only ones who have left the state. many have made a nice living for themselves in places all across the state, but mostly in the metro detroit area.

on another note: the detroit news just made an interesting hire. former ny times writer charlie leduff is joining the paper's project team and metro desk.
    http://poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=13117

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Funky, my post is based on my experience with the state. In my opinion, there is a lot that's bad there. That is not to say there aren't beautiful areas and nice towns. The people, eh, I didn't find them any nicer than those I see on a daily basis in my neck of the woods.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I can think about 30 cities that arent Grosse Pointe that are fine.
    And again, if you have a job, the economy doesn't matter. But feel free to continue to complain about it even though you arent in Michigan anymore.

Some of us like the weather, and don't worry about perjury or dead stripper's because he isn't our mayor.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

List those 30 cities. I'll name two to help you out: Royal Oak and Birmingham.

And, sorry, the economy IS your worry. The second numbers fall below ridiculous projections, Singleton cuts positions -- and you could be on the chopping block.

If you're out of work, in that economy? Not a picnic.

Of course, Hank will come back here, call me an asshole (again) and say I don't know what I'm talking about. Doesn't matter that I've backed up my points with some facts. I'm an asshole, apparently, since I come from New England, whatever the fuck that means.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If ya'll want to start a thread on A.G. debating the merits of the Motor City, feel free or take it to PMs. But it appears the job in question here is spoken for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.