1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Sports Editor, Sterling, IL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

One of the best sports teams in the newspaper business needs to fill a key roster spot. Sauk Valley Newspapers, fresh off an APSE Triple Crown, is looking for an Assistant Sports Editor.

We're a 20,000-circulation paper, but don't let size fool you. If you're looking to advance your career, we're the place to be. Our sports staffers have made moves to the Chicago Tribune, Daily Herald and Aurora Beacon-News, all in the past 6 years.

Prep season is our time to shine, and it's just around the corner. The right candidate will be able to step in and produce immediately. You'll do it all here: reporting, opinion columns, features – and that's just the beginning. We're looking for a person who can paginate creatively, confidently and quickly in InDesign. We're looking for someone who can edit copy. Basically, we're looking for someone who can make us even better.

If you're interested, send your resume, a cover letter, and some examples of your best work to Sports Editor Will Larkin, Sauk Valley Newspapers, 3200 E. Lincolnway, Sterling, IL 61081, or to rbird@svnmail.com.

2. Anyone know anything about this job?

3. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

well, looks like we know who got the SE gig

4. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

I could easily tell you why this newspaper is a bad place to work. But I'm deciding that it's probably best I do not put myself in a position to be sued.

5. Cubbie Blue

Cubbie Blue New Member

So does anybody know their hopefully timeline for this job? Have they already started interviewing candidates?

6. NISB35

NISB35 New Member

Anything yet?

7. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

Nobody went straight from Sterling to the Chicago Tribune, did they? If so, that's an astonishing jump, perhaps some type of record.

8. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

Yes, it happens when the Tribune lays off high-paid veterans.

9. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Last talked to a guy their a few weeks ago, said no hire was made. That was the first Friday night of prep football season. Good luck to those on hand going into a prep season down a body.

Draft saved Draft deleted