1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Sports Editor, Shelby (N.C.) Star

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The Star, a 14,000-circulation newspaper based in Shelby, N.C., is looking for an assistant sports editor. The job encompasses both writing/coverage and pagination (using Quark). Multimedia capability is a plus and opportunities abound in that area. Experience is appreciated but we are willing to train an energetic newcomer. Contact: alanford@shelbystar.com.

Alan is a good guy, hard working. He has to be with a two-man staff putting out a daily (7 days a week) sports section. There's a ton of work but this is a good gig. Prep sports are excellent as Shelby High is a megapower in football. Charlotte is also less than an hour away.

2. Jim_Mora

Jim_Mora Member

did gabe whinsant leave/get promoted?

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I'm wondering the same thing. He hasn't been there that long.

4. Keystone

Keystone Member

Isn't Shelby hosting the American Legion World Series this year? I remember that Legion ball is big in WNC.

5. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Yes ... I think they're also hosting one of the regionals ...

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They cover Gardner-Webb football too.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I interviewed and was offered this gig some ten years ago, but had to turn it down because I would've had to take a pay cut (I wasn't in the business at the time) and move out of my rent-free situation. I sometimes want to kick myself for not taking the chance, as I could see that it was a very, very good opportunity at the time. Alan is good people, and whomever gets this job will learn a lot from him.

8. bitter mf

bitter mf New Member

Gabe Whisnant did get promoted. He oversees sports at The Star AND The Gazette. Good luck to him. I hear the management doesn't care about sports, even though they got great reporters like Monte Dutton, Steve Reed and Richard Walker. It's a challenge, I'm sure. It's funny, the publisher of the two papers wants to deny that Charlotte exists...go figure.

Draft saved Draft deleted