1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Sports Editor, Meridan, MS

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Meridian Star, a 15,000 circulation daily paper located in Meridian, Mississippi, is seeking a full-time Assistant Sports Editor that is a skilled writer and reporter who also has a keen eye for page design. The right candidate will be part of a 3-person sports staff covering 22 high schools and three junior colleges that contend for championships in every sport. There will also be opportunities to cover Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Southern Miss. The candidate must be self-motivated with excellent time management skills. A journalism degree and at least two years experience is preferred. Please send resume and clips to Jamie Wachter, Executive Sports Editor, at sports@themeridianstar.com or mail to P.O. Box 1591, Meridian, MS, 39302.

2. He is...safe!

He is...safe! Member

What's the deal with this job? Hasn't it made a couple of appearances here recently?

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

No, the other job was for a reporter. There has been a change of sports editors.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Hope all is well with Rocky.

Congrats to the new guy being an executive.

5. He is...safe!

He is...safe! Member

Now they're posting a job for a reports on the MS Press site. About to post it here,

6. BudMan

BudMan Member

A three-man staff has two openings a month into high school football season? What the hell happened? This is crazy even for The Star.

7. jlw

jlw New Member

The Star had an opening for a sports reporter late this summer and had a guy agree to the job. The week football season started and the day he was headed this way, he had to back out due to an illness in his family. The other candidates from the first go-round that were contacted had in the meantime found other opportunities.

Then, the day before football season began, Rocky left The Star. At that point, The Star attempted to bring a former employee back and, unfortunately, that also did not work out.

So, bad timing have left The Star with a one-man sports staff for the time being.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

So let me get this right...Rocky Higgenbotham, a highly-respected sports editor in Mississippi, just up and walked on the day before football season?

Sounds reeeaaalllyyy strange.

At least the remaining staffer is an executive.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I got ahold of a friend of mine who used to be the SE there, and he said Rocky has a family situation that requires him to have weekends and nights off.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Liut, football season began in Mississppi in August.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I know that. Your point?

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

My bad. I misread your post.

Draft saved Draft deleted