1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Sports Editor, Leavenworth (Kan.) Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, May 1, 2008.

1. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

Insert your own Michael Vick joke here ...
    (from journalismjobs.com)

Company: Leavenworth Times
    Position: Seeking assistant sports editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: June 5, 2008
    Job ID: 737232

Description:
    If you are looking for a quality sports writing position covering a lot of action-packed events and quality sports programs, then Kansas Media One has the right opportunity. We are looking for a highly motivated individual to work as an assistant sports editor for a daily newspaper that serves northeast Kansas. The coverage area includes four high schools and a university. Candidates should have a passion for reporting on games, as well as for developing quality sports features on players and participants. Although a degree in journalism or English is preferred, the right candidate can be trained. To apply for this position, send a resume and writing samples to Scott Lowder, Managing Editor, Kansas Media One, 422 Seneca St., Leavenworth, KS 66048, or e-mail to ltimesed@sbcglobal.net. For more information, call Scott at 913-682-0305.

2. spud

spud Member

I heard their coverage of the inmate football season is pretty stellar.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

4. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If the SE listing is correct on the Website, proceed with caution.

6. Based on the byline here, <http://leavenworthtimes.com/articles/2008/05/02/sports/sports2.txt>, I'd say Sara Mettlen is the SE.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Don't pick up hitch hikers.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Sara hasn't been there long, but she is the sports editor. She's young and green, but a very organized person.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'd listen to sam if i were interested. a lotta folks speak out their asses ... sam doesn't. carry on.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

This job opens up frequently. I applied once and didn't hear anything for honestly probably six months. They finally called, I'm sure after having someone else in for awhile, but acted like they had just popped open my packet and browsed my stuff for the first time that afternoon. So either they were lying about it for a really weird reason or they were REALLY slow in filling the position.

In either case, I ended up elsewhere.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Tomas.

Sara isn't the one I was concerned about. I don't know her, but I've spoken to a couple of others and she seems to have a lot of potential and will likely grow into the position.

It's her predecessor whom I wouldn't trust. Ever. If the paper is smart, it gets that change taken care of on the website.

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

This would be a good gig for me, since the new powers that be cut my salary less than a month after i got here (and less than a month after promising no big changes in the interim).

I'd love to be that close to KC and work well as an ASE. But I think I burned a bridge with the ME, thanks to a question I asked the aforementioned SE.

Draft saved Draft deleted