1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant sports editor Knoxville

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Philkaplan, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

Here's an update. I guess I'm doing a good job filling in for the assistant sports editor. ;)
    Earliest I can do interviews is last week of March.
    So my plan is to go to APSE judging next week and hopefully have a list of candidates the next week and fill the position in April.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Richmond Times-Dispatch SE Steve Trosky is taking this one, per ASPE Twitter.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Wow. That's an interesting move. Is there a Knoxville connection? Because on paper, it seems like a marked step down.

4. Decadent

Decadent New Member

Is this person related to TV actor Knoxville?

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

If it's Johnny the newsroom is probably a fun place to work.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Please don't feed the monkey. Thanks.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Just spoke with Steve on the phone a couple of weeks ago. A name many of us are familiar with. Hope he does great work in Knoxville.

8. Decadent

Decadent New Member

[​IMG]

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

An image I can't get out of my mind now. Thanks. ;)

Congratulations to Steve. That should be a great team in Knoxville!

10. bevo

bevo Member

A little bit disheartening for any applicants that were hoping to take a step forward in their careers to see this hire. Kinda hard to compete against someone willing to take a step back.

But on the bright side, I guess there's an opening in Richmond now.

11. OscarG

OscarG New Member

I realize empty slots take a lot longer to fill, but this one took a long time. I don't know Steve, but I'm sure he was the man for the job. I didn't apply for this one because I'm looking to go far west, but it's disappointing how long this process takes. And after the process is over, those applying should at least been offered to courtesy of notice.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Phil Kaplan is actually one of the more straightforward bosses on our board... I've applied twice for positions in Knoxville (including this one) and both times he's been honest with me. We don't know the full story here... maybe Steve knows Phil? They used to work together? And yes, will there be an opening in Richmond now?

Draft saved Draft deleted