1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Sports Editor/Indianapolis Star

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jim lefko, May 10, 2010.

1. jim lefko

jim lefko New Member

Indianapolis Star
    Position: Assistant Sports Editor/High Schools

THE JOB: The Indianapolis Star seeks a full-time Assistant Sports Editor to coordinate coverage of 70-plus area high schools and supervise five reporters (one in The Star’s downtown office and four in suburban offices) for both print and digital. Hours are 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., with some nights (Fridays in the fall) and weekends required.

QUALIFICATIONS: Candidate should have at least 5 years of Metro newspaper experience. Previous management experience and familiarity with high school sports preferred. Strong organizational skills are required. Creativity and ability to work well with others, edit copy, supervise quality enterprise work and advance planning are staples.

START DATE: Late July.

WHAT TO DO: If interested, contact Jim Lefko, Senior Editor/Sports.
    jim.lefko@indystar.com, 317-444-6352

2. Any idea what this gig would pay?

Who left and where are they headed?

3. jim lefko

jim lefko New Member

Kristen Leigh Porter had been the ASE/High Schools for the past 2 years, after 5 years as a prep reporter at The Star. Her last day was May 7.

She is taking a job in communications...and left on very good terms, I might add.

4. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Sounds like a really nice, step-up position for someone. I'd really consider it if I hadn't locked myself in location-wise (i.e., no way my house would sell right now). Best of luck to all who apply.

5. jim lefko

jim lefko New Member

Thanks to all of those who have contacted me.

The plan is to accept resumes for another week or so and then move to the next stage of the process.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Bump back to the top... I did not make the next stage, but Jim did send me a very nice e-mail and I responded in kind. We'll see where this goes; good luck to those of you in the running.

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Was anyone hired for this one yet?

8. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I would think they've filled it. I spoke with Jim (via e-mail) shortly after this job was posted and they were planning to move at a pretty good pace to fill it.
    It only took a couple of weeks before I got my polite "thanks anyway" notice.

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

My understanding is that the position has evolved to include more enterprise directing, and Jim was looking for that kind of background to narrow the field.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The 5,280 pipeline (just a tad below Moddy's, but still solidly reliable) says this job will get filled from the outside only after the Pirates win the World Series.

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Well, Pittsburgh IS only 18 games out of first place.

12. jim lefko

jim lefko New Member

I am happy to announce that Nat Newell has been named to fill this position.

Newell has been with The Star for 7 years, covering sports in the North zone, primarily for the community zoned sections.

Draft saved Draft deleted