1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Sports Editor - Holland, MI

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/job-listings/1614321

Company: The Holland Sentinel
    Position:
    Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000

Description:

The Holland Sentinel is seeking a passionate and dedicated journalist to fill its Assistant Sports Editor position. The Sentinel's sports coverage includes Hope College, Grand Valley State University, 10 high schools and a variety of other sports outlets.

Applicants must have 2 years of sports writing experience, a degree in journalism or communications and must be able to help drive our social media coverage. Ability to take photos and video is a plus.

The Sentinel offers an evolving newsroom for a 10,000-circulation a.m. paper with strong community support. In addition to a 6-day daily newspaper and a vibrant website, HollandSentinel.com.

The Sentinel serves the thriving Holland/Zeeland region of approximately 110,000 people in West Michigan on the shores of Lake Michigan. Our community has a very diverse employment base. With Hope College as a part of the center-city area, our quality of life is second to none. Holland is also a popular tourist destination, especially during the summer months.

The Holland Sentinel is a locally managed media outlet owned by GateHouse Media, Inc. and we offer an excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision and a 401k plan.

Interested candidates should email their resume, cover letter and writing samples to: Sports Editor Dan D'Addona at Dan.D'Addona@hollandsentinel.com.

EOE

I work for one of their sister papers, so I have a bit of insight into the job. Not much, but enough to tell you this is a good job. Hard work, but well worth it. HS sports in this area have done very well, including Hope College.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Was thinking about posting this earlier, Zads!

I know their SE. Dan's a nice guy, good sense of humor, been the SE for about two years... former SE is a friend of mine and is SID at Hope. Sentinel does cover Hope and Grand Valley fairly well, and great job with high schools. Yeah, it's GateHouse, but this paper does fairly well.

3. Zads07

Zads07 Member

Agreed, Dan's a great guy, will help you out when needed.

4. awriter

awriter Active Member

Don't know much about the paper. But it's in a really nice area, particularly when it's warm.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Mmmm. New holland beer.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

It's a great area of southwest Michigan (but be ready for lake-effect snow from November through March). Hope is a solid D-III school and the Sentinel covers them well.

Was considered for a job opening there about six years ago. Met some nice people ... who I see are literally all gone from the newsroom now. That's GateHouse for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted