1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Sports Editor/High Schools

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by GLee, Jun 10, 2014.

1. GLee

GLee New Member

Teri Berg has been hired as the assistant sports editor for high schools and local sports. Teri comes to us with a wealth of experience. Her last stop was at CBSSports.com where she was an editor. Teri also worked at the Mansfield News Journal as a local editor at the Ohio newspaper. She also has worked at NBA.com and ESPN.com. She is an undergrad alum of The Ohio State University. She also earned her MFA at the University of Iowa and a graduate degree from Columbia University.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Teri! Refreshing to see candidates with experience (in this case, a LOT of experience) picked over fresh-faced journalists just off the street. And thanks for keeping us posted. :)

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, that's one way to avoid having to pay for moving expenses. :D

4. bevo

bevo Member

It's Tribune. They don't pay moving expenses anyway.

5. BTExpress

Yeah, but at least they didn't have to risk a good candidate turning them down because of it.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That's not fair to the candidate who got hired.
    I've heard nothing but good things about her.

7. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

Does anyone cover moving expenses? I would not expect that with any job offer since I would be happy if a position like this was offered. Besides, tax write off.

8. BrendaStarr

BrendaStarr Member

Gannett does. It won't necessarily cover everything, but they do give something.

9. BTExpress

It was a joke. Hence the " :D" afterward.

And McClatchy paid for my move 3 years ago. Tribune did not pay for my move 28 years ago.

10. bevo

bevo Member

Moving expenses can be a real problem if you have a family and live in more than a one bedroom apartment. Everywhere I've been has paid moving expenses. And I did turn down a Tribune job in part because they didn't cover them.

11. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Looks like a solid hire. Even after years of downsizing, the Sun Sentinel still has some first-rate talent in sports, with a handful of people who go back to the Fred Turner era. I'm guessing that the new assistant will work closely with Kathy Laughlin and Dave Brousseau, and they're very good at their jobs. It's just too bad the sports copy desk, which was one of the best in the business from the early '80s until Zell's people took over, has been dismantled and no longer exists.

12. BTExpress

Brousseau is the oracle of high school sports in that area.

As a former member of said desk for 26 years, I agree. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted