1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Sports Editor- Fort Wayne, IN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, May 5, 2014.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1585783

Company: The Fort Wayne (IN.) Journal Gazette
    Position:
    Assistant sports editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Job ID: 1585783

Description:
    The Fort Wayne (IN) Journal Gazette, a seven-day morning newspaper (46,000 daily/76,000 Sunday), seeks an Assistant Sports Editor with sound news judgment, the ability to design pages, and a proven track record of making deadlines. The successful applicant will run the sports desk nightly (includes weekends), work with reporters to strengthen writing/reporting and help develop content. Strong communication skills and an ability to work with other departments required. Some opportunities for local event coverage and features. Exempt position, mostly working nights and weekends. We cover Notre Dame, Indiana, Purdue and IPFW; the Indy 500 and Brickyard 400; local minor league hockey, basketball and baseball teams; several area colleges; and some 50 high schools in a nine-county region. Send resume, five writing samples, three page designs and a cover letter explaining what you’d bring to our sports section to Mark Jaworski, Sports Editor, The Journal Gazette, 600 W. Main St., Fort Wayne, IN, 46802 or email to mjaworski@jg.net

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Nuts. Everything in my skill set but the page design. Good luck to those who apply. :)

3. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

This is the home of the D League champions, so it's a big sports town.

4. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

From the description, this appears to be mostly an administrative and editing job with minimal writing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Thanks for the drive by.

6. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I'm sure someone will wonder about how much it pays...

I may be imagining this but I seem to recall back in 2006, when I was looking for my first job, I came across the sports editor's job for a Fort Wayne paper that paid ~$40,000-45,000.

Like I said, that was the fall of 2006 and if you put a gun to my head, I wouldn't swear this to be true but I swear this is stirring some sort of memory for me.

7. bevo

bevo Member

I'm not sure if it was this paper or the other one in Ft. Wayne, but the interview process was pretty involved. They wanted me to take an editing test, but it had to be administered by a local (to me) journalism professor. So they wanted me to go to a local college and ask a professor to, on his own time and without knowing me or the publication, give me this test.

That's about as far as I got. I wasn't that interested. I guess it's a good way to weed people out.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That was my first job interview and first airplane ride, back in 1983.

9. Decadent

Decadent New Member

Sounds like that paper. I knew a couple of news-side people there who would not have passed a test to find their own butt with their hands.

10. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I'm honestly looking to get out of journalism. This job intrigued me enough to ask questions but I can't say I'm interested enough to jump through that many hoops based on the job description alone.

11. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

I looked at the contact page, and it looks as if the top management (higher than the SE) has been there quite a long time. Want to say at least 15 years.

12. 35in44

35in44 Member

I can speak to this job a little bit. The ASE used to cover Notre Dame as well -- not sure if he is the one who is leaving. The upper management has been there a long, long time and to my knowledge there is still a JOA with the smaller paper in town, one of the most stable in the industry if my memory serves right.

There are opportunities to do some pretty interesting things there still and the paper at least tries to occasionally do something different here and there, depending on the writer. The staff is also getting smaller than it was 10 years ago (not a surprise) so there's probably a better chance for writing these days.

Not sure what is causing this opening, but one of the last people to leave the sports section of the paper covers Notre Dame for the Chicago Sun-Times and another is now at ESPN covering the NFL. So there is some pedigree for the right person to move up from there. As a section, they've won a handful of writing APSEs over the past decade.

I can answer some questions here and there if you need me to.

Draft saved Draft deleted