1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Sports Editor- Columbia, TN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Search_Jobs_all.cfm

Company: The Daily Herald
    Position:
    Assistant Sports Editor wanted
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires:
    December 21, 2013
    Job ID: 1544022

Description:

The Daily Herald, an 11,000-circulation daily newspaper located about 45 minutes south of Nashville, is known for producing award-winning news that frequently draws statewide and even national attention. Our editors and reporters get the tools and experience they need to pursue successful careers.

The Daily Herald is seeking a full-time assistant sports editor.

Candidates with a bachelor's degree in journalism, experience in sports reporting and a high proficiency with InDesign are preferred. The ideal candidate is a fast, reliable self-starter with a thorough knowledge of the sports world who can write accurate, entertaining stories under deadline pressure. This candidate will also possess a keen eye for design and the ability to edit or rewrite copy and craft snappy, accurate headlines.

To apply, send a cover letter, resume, references and work samples (pdf files preferred) to Chris Fletcher at cfletcher@c-dh.net. Please type "Assistant sports editor" in the subject line. No calls, please.

2. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

As an 11K paper, would you have anybody under you to give orders to? Or is this just a two-man shop with a sports editor and assistant sports editor?

3. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I looked at the website...there seems to also be a prep writer on staff.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I know Tennessee is much cheaper to live than, say, Massachusetts or California. But $20-$25K per year for an ASE job?

Sounds like an entry-level or second stop job.

5. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I noticed the same thing. Wikipedia* states that the average income for males in Columbia, TN is is nearly 35,000K (36,000K for households).

*for what it's worth

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Columbia is just south of Spring Hill, where the Saturn car manufacturing plant was located before being shuttered several years ago. It's a nice area, and about 45 minutes or so to Nashville.

Draft saved Draft deleted