1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant sports editor, Bend, Ore.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jersey_Guy, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

No need to, I haven't been to Portland in more than two years and if I remember correctly - I was drunk at the time - I may have drank at a strip club.
    Plus, (another if I recall correctly) when I got married in Bend three years ago my groomsmen drank heavily at the strip clubs in town.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and you received a (10) lap dance(s) if your groomsmen were worth a damn.

and really, from what my buddy tells me. try the dancin' bear next time you're in town. ladies from PSU put themselves through school thanks to the charity of the folks who frequent that establishment.

but, of course, that's just what my buddy tells me.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I will have to share that information ... with my buddies ... yes, first thing I will do. Thanks for the heads up.

4. slipshod

slipshod Member

My stepdaughter does this for a living in Arizona, went to Portland to visit relatives and worked a couple of nights. Said the rules were very strict. When I lived there eight years ago, they closed a place for too much touching. Now maybe there are places that don't serve liquor that can get around it.

5. slipshod

slipshod Member

By the way, I know where the Dancin' Bear is located -- lovely part of town....make sure to go in armed.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

from what my buddy tells me, your stepdaughter is lying to you. oregon and alaska have two of the most relaxed laws in the country regarding these types of entertainment venues. that's why guys from washington used to drive south -- and i guess they still do -- for that type of entertainment.

also -- my buddy is once again whispering in my ear telling me you don't know what you're talking about because he says -- every one of those venues serve alcohol.

and i know the area of town the dancin' bare is located -- even though only my buddy, and not i, have been inside -- and if you are afraid to get out of your car in that section of town, maybe you shouldn't leave the house without your husband.

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I don't know how true this is, but I've heard of solid, veteran reporters paying their own way to interview at The Oregonian...just buying a plane ticket and cold-calling the paper. Same guy who told me this also said the paper had a rep as being a velvet coffin...that Portland was such a great place to live, no one was hungry enough to do the sort of big-time work that would get you on with the real big boys.

8. slipshod

slipshod Member

Im Portland AND Seattle. There are two seasons _ winter and August.
    Cold, gray, bone-numbing rain from and gloomy gray skies. I lived it. I know.
    But August is nice.

Bend, on the other side of the Cascades, is mostly dry in summer, snowy in winter, with Mt. Bachelor so close, with an unbelievable skyline. It has virtually nothing in common with Portland or Seattle, except bad traffic.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Six words in support of this job from a recreational standpoint:

Bandon Dunes
    Pacific Dunes
    Bandon Trail

10. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Only a 500-mile round trip.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

Portland is a tough market to crack, whether it should be or not, and Bend would be little more than a courtesy place to pick from. But there is good golf around Bend, in addition to the beautiful courses in Bandon.

12. slipshod

slipshod Member

Personal opinion -- Oregonian vastly overrated, has been for years...It's reputation grows the farther from Portland you get....because they don't read it everyday....Quite pedestrian in my opinion and a bit uppity. I prefer both Seattle papers.

Draft saved Draft deleted