1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant sports editor, Bend, Ore.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jersey_Guy, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

Who is this mystery candidate? Are they a f'in stud or studette?

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, i have a friend there, too ... name's gresham.

gilchrist ... fuck. right. i have another friend there, i think her name is vancouver. ... and she lives next to tigard and ridgefield.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I once knew a Beaver in Hillsboro! ;D

4. slipshod

slipshod Member

Got my first job out of college in Bend many years ago. Former editor (don't dare call him publisher even though he owned the whole damn chain) was Bob Chandler, tough-as-nails old-time newspaperman who put many youngsters (including myself) through college. He died several years ago but his family still owns the chain. In my days there, The Bulletin was an aggressive newspaper that hired young talent knowing they would move on to bigger and better things. We had to put our names in the corrections, such as ``Reporter Sam Spade regrets the error.'' Nothing allowed on desks at day's end but a telephone. It is a gorgeous area, growing like crazy but very expensive. Mostly preps, outdoors and there's a local community college, although they may cover some Oregon and Oregon State stuff just over the mountains.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

related to the lava bear i knew in bend?

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

It's true that Seattle gets more rain than Portland. But the difference is about half an inch per year.

7. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

Any news on this position?

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

The position has been posted again on APSE's job site as of Friday.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and you live ... on the east coast?

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

All I will say is, if you are younger and like the outdoors I would take this job. Get some experience, make some connections - especially with people at The Oregonian - and have fun hiking, biking, rafting, swimming, skiing/snowboarding and whatever else floats your boat. It is a kick ass town with nearly perfect weather - in that it has four seasons.
    Hell, I almost sold myself to apply until I remembered that my in-laws live there.

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Nope. Pacific Northwest. Nice try, though.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

So, if you live in the Pacific Northwest then you know the secret right? Seattle actually doesn't get as much rain as everyone likes to pretend, it is just a ploy to keep Californians away. It rains a lot, but generally it is just a mist or a slight drizzle, nothing that would keep you from doing anything outside. Or are you actually from Idaho? Which we all know isn't actually apart of the Pacific Northwest and has no weather anything like the Pacific Northwest.

Draft saved Draft deleted