1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant sports editor, Bend, Ore.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jersey_Guy, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

This paper ALWAYS has openings. I'm wondering if there's a problem or people just keep moving up from there:

Company: The Bulletin
    Position:
    Assistant Sports Editor
    Job Status:  Full-time
    Salary:  Negotiable
    Ad Expires: 
    September 6, 2006
    Job ID: 666694

Description:
    The Bulletin, a fast-growing 30,000-plus daily in Central Oregon, is seeking an assistant sports editor to direct the day-to-day operation of our sports staff. The successful candidate will become part of a team of eight on The Bulletin's sports staff, which covers everything from traditional sports to the offbeat and extreme.

Duties include section design, page building, copy editing, staff coordination and scheduling. Strong news judgment and editing skills are vital.

The assistant sports editor will report directly to the sports editor and will work as part of our page-design team under the guidance of the newsroom's presentation editor.

The Bulletin is the flagship paper of family-owned Western Communications. We offer competitive pay and benefits, and the opportunity to live in the High Desert city of Bend, Ore., a growing urban area situated in the shadow of the Cascade Mountains and surrounded by abundant outdoor recreation opportunities. Bend, population 70,000, offers a resort-town lifestyle with big-city amenities.

We offer ample opportunities for training and advancement.

To apply, please mail a cover letter, resume and references to:

Eleanor Pierce, Newsroom Administrator, The Bulletin, P.O. Box 6020, 1777 S.W. Chandler Ave., Bend, OR 97708

2. Superman

Superman Guest

I was told by an Oregon native that the pay is bad and the cost of living is through the roof. Tourist town.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The Bend area is beautiful. Unfortunately, the influx of expatriate Californians has, as Superman was told, driven prices through the roof.

4. Superman

Superman Guest

But is the paper any good? I'd live more within my means for some experience at shop slightly bigger than where I'm at now. But not this job, maybe one of the news writing jobs.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

WesCom isn't that bad as far as pay and benefits go, though it might not go as far if Bend is as expensive as advertised.

The paper itself is good quality.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

If you are not a candidate from within a day's drive, proceed with caution. I applied for this two years ago when it was open. They advertised it two more times after I applied, the first time to "get more local candidates," the second time for who-knows-why.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Bend? Over.

8. Hustle

Hustle Guest

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ah, yes. Sotheby's --- that bastion of middle-class housing. ::)

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

That kind of makes my point for me. Of the 125 listings for the entire state of Oregon, all but 20 or so are for Bend. And the rest are for nearby towns - Redmond, Sisters, Prineville, Powell Butte, etc.

Where there's smoke...

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Bend is one of the most beautiful places on earth.
    That said, it is a very, very pricey place to live. Check out the table at this link: http://www.4uisell.com/buyers.html
    Also, I have never heard anything good about this paper. They have openings for all parts of the newsroom all the time, they don't pay well and upon reading the paper multiple times at my in-laws, in my humble opinion it could be doing a lot better.
    They do have an amazing office, as they buried a ton of money into building a new one.
    Take the tour:
    http://www.bendbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/ABOUT/50830005&nav_category=ABOUT

12. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

This might get me called out -- because I might not know what the hell I am talking about -- but I have always heard that Oregon papers are somewhat insular. They like their candidates to be from Oregon.

Draft saved Draft deleted