1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant sports editor, Beaufort (S.C.) Gazette

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sblust, Oct 22, 2007.

1. sblust

sblust Member

The Beaufort Gazette has an opening for a No. 2 person on our four-person sports staff. We're a 12,000-circulation McClatchy daily on the southern coast of South Carolina, about halfway between Charleston and Savannah.

This job will be almost exclusively desk, though there is a possibility of occasional writing. We focus on preps, but our area has an abundance of recreational sports (fishing tournaments, lots of golf, etc.) that keep us busy throughout the year.

The salary for this job will be approximately $35,000. It could be a excellent spot for someone with a desk background who is looking to move into management.

The hiring contact is sports editor Dave Hale, who is reachable at dhale@beaufortgazette.com or 843-986-5540. If you have questions, contact Dave or me at the e-mail address or phone number below.

Thanks.

Steve Blust
    Beaufort Gazette Executive Editor
    sblust@beaufortgazette.com
    843-986-5530

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

A decent job at decent pay ... a minor miracle?

3. ScottJBryan

ScottJBryan Member

Beaufort is expensive to live in, but $35K isn't bad. If you're looking to live high on the hog, it probably won't be enough. But if you want to live comfortable, there are deals to be had there.

Plus, you'll get to work for Dave Hale, one of the good guys in the business.

Beaufort mainly covers two big high schools and a handful of small public and private schools. There's also plenty of golf out there. It's a pretty well-designed paper, so there's a chance to do some cool things.

4. mattyb

mattyb Guest

Anyone know if this job has been filled yet or who they are looking at?

5. sblust

sblust Member

Dave Hale has begun phone interviews, and we're getting close. It has been a good field of candidates.

That being said, I was surprised by the number of applicants who sent no examples of their page designs for what is essentially a full-time desk job. That's like a reporter applying for a beat job, sending in zero clips and telling his prospective employer, "You're just going to have to trust me - I'm good."

6. Wow. I never realized it was only 12,000-circ. That area is bursting at the seems with new growth, but it's awfully pretty.

Had a friend who worked in Beaufort. It was a great stepping stone for him. He still misses the area. It would be a great place to live.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Steve, maybe they really just want to write and hope by getting on the staff, that's what they'll be able to do. I've seen it happen before, get the foot in the door ...

8. sblust

sblust Member

That's very possible, but we're looking for someone who is focused on a career on the desk. This is a key hire for us and isn't a steppingstone to a writing position here.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Steve, I understand that and you make it clear, which is good.

Draft saved Draft deleted