1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant SE - Tallahassee Democrat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by KJIM, Apr 20, 2012.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?Job_DID=JHQ7YM63Z5DK93KJFMZ&sc_cmp2=10_JobMat_JobDet&IPATH=JEHAXA&SiteID=cb_emailrec_US&APath=1.8.0.31.0&je=myrec&HostID=US

This is from careerbuilder, so it doesn't list contact information beyond the address (277 N Magnolia Dr, Tallahassee, FL 32301) but I'm sure since it's not a job for entry-level candidates those qualified can figure out how to apply.

Description The Assistant Sports Editor is a position that combines the ability to produce content in a variety of platforms, while also helping the Sports Editor manage the department and assign coverage as needed. This journalist will be responsible for leading our local high schools coverage while also helping cover Florida State athletics and other general assignment stories. This journalist will work to become the area’s leading authority on high school sports and will use that knowledge to break news, find interesting feature stories and write informative opinion pieces and blogs. While this journalist will have management responsibilities – coordinating preps coverage with stringers, editing some stories and leading the department when the Sports Editor is unavailable – this is primarily a content-producing position. This person must be able to crank out shorter daily stories while also working on long-term projects that will have impact with our readers. He/she should be able to produce content in multiple formats (text, photo, video and audio) and also have experience with social media.

RequirementsCandidates should have demonstrated excellence as a beat reporter and have a proven record of developing sources, breaking news, originating story ideas and writing in a clear and engaging way. Editing experience is a plus but not required. Applicants need to understand the growing importance of multimedia news and be able to coordinate with Democrat staffers. The successful candidates should have at least five years of full-time reporting experience. Travel will not be a primary focus of this position, but it could be required from time to time. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.

If you are interested in applying please include a resume and links to three recent stories that you feel show your best skills.

2. Blogtastic

Blogtastic Member

The "Apply Now" link in that listing might be a possible way to get in touch with them.

3. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Hope you can multi-task. Eight days a week.

4. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

The Big Bend area in Florida has a pretty good crop of prep athletes. Three football teams in their coverage area played for state championships last season, and National Signing Day can keep you busy. The staff won a couple of APSE writing awards in the last contest, and while its not a big staff, it's a damn good group of folks.

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

They're asking a lot for a job that probably pays $38,000.

6. slc10

slc10 Member

Unfortunately careerbuilder says the ad for the job has expired.

7. DancesWithDirt

DancesWithDirt New Member

Just went to the newspaper's Web site. A few jobs are posted, but not this one. Of all the openings I've seen on this board since being laid off in December, this is the one that most matches what I did in my previous job. Oh, well ...

8. eek!gannett!

eek!gannett! Guest

I hear this one was filled before it was posted.

9. jmb51879

jmb51879 Member

Filled by Jim Henry. He already was in Tallahassee and already doing work for the Democrat.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Outstanding. Jim was on my team at FanHouse - terrific person and I miss working with him.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yes, glad Jim got placed, a good one.

Draft saved Draft deleted