1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant SE - Kentucky New Era in Hopkinsville, Ky.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by LesJ9488, Jul 2, 2014.

1. LesJ9488

LesJ9488 Member

My talented assistant sports editor is taking the next step in his career, and we're looking to find his replacement. I'll monitor this thread for any relevant questions.

ASSISTANT SPORTS EDITOR

The Kentucky New Era, an award-winning mid-sized daily publication that goes to press five days a week, is looking for an energetic assistant sports editor. The New Era, with a paid circulation of 7,500, is based in Hopkinsville, Ky., about an hour’s drive north of Nashville and 10 miles from Fort Campbell, home of the 101st Airborne Division.

We cover eight high schools, youth athletics, four colleges (Austin Peay State University, Murray State University, Western Kentucky University and the University of Kentucky) and the Tennessee Titans.

This position at the New Era has become a career launching pad. The last three to hold this spot have become a magazine managing editor, secured a position at ESPN and moved on to a prep reporting beat at a larger daily newspaper.

Additionally, Hopkinsville is less than a 30-minute drive from Land Between the Lakes, one of the premiere outdoor recreational areas in the South.

Qualifications

- Ability to work nights and weekends

- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or applicable field

- Ability to write well-crafted stories and edit copy.

- Knowledge of AP style

- Proficient at social media, including Facebook and Twitter

- Ability to work effectively in a team environment

- An unrelenting passion for sports and the desire to produce the best sports section in the state

Employment at the New Era comes with some benefits, including options to participate in our company’s health, dental and vision insurance plans. Additionally, the New Era provides matching incentives for a retirement plan and paid vacations. To apply for the position, send a cover letter explaining why you’re the right person for the job along with a resume and four writing samples to sports editor Les Johns at ljohns@kentuckynewera.com. No phone calls please.

2. Les is a good guy, and it's a good sports section. I don't think there's any layout responsibilities. Some decent athletes there.

3. JohnScratch

JohnScratch New Member

What is the hiring time frame for this position? Seems like a great place to work with a lot of great opportunity.

4. LesJ9488

LesJ9488 Member

Great question, John.

We're looking to move relatively briskly. There's been several great candidates that have responded so far.
    I hope to narrow candidates and set interviews this week and extend an offer mid-to-late next week.

Thanks!

5. tacheles

tacheles New Member

Posted on PRNewswire:

Southeast Missourian (Cape Girardeau, MO): Former Kentucky New Era Assistant Sports Editor Trent Singer is now a new Sports Reporter @semissourian.

6. LesJ9488

LesJ9488 Member

This position has come open again, as this time the sports editor (me) is departing for another position. They may make an additional post in the coming days, but if interested send your materials to cjung@kentuckynewera.com.

This really is a great entry-level spot with fun teams to cover and incredible people to work with. It was an absolutely perfect place for me.

If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

What's the turnover like there?

8. LesJ9488

LesJ9488 Member

If you're looking at it from a negative standpoint, turnover is relatively non-existent. The previous sports editor was in place for 19 years. I've been here just a year, but I'm leaving to be a publisher of a major conference Rivals site.

The former asst. sports editor that just left was in place for about 3 years.

Although we've had a couple spots open in the last couple months, turnover typically has been minimal. It really is a great spot that I would highly recommend.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

If you have any questions about the area, I'll be glad to help.

10. singerman

singerman New Member

I held this job for two years until last July. Shoot me a message with any questions.

11. Fenix031

Fenix031 New Member

I held this job once upon a time (I'm the one referenced as a magazine managing editor in the initial ad). Good people work here, and if you're a young journalist, you'll get a lot of great experience in the sports writing biz. Christian County often has athletes that move on to DI, and — at least when I was there — they held pretty solid home coverage on the Titans. You learn pretty quickly what it's like to cover sports and work on tight deadlines.

Draft saved Draft deleted