1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant presentation editor/Sports in Victoria, Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by bpoindexter, Jun 6, 2009.

1. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

"... a sports section isn't supposed to look like the rest of the paper." ... I like it already.

Company: Victoria Advocate
    Position: Asst. Presentation Editor/Sports
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: July 9, 2009
    Job ID: 1059162

Description:
    We're looking for a designer who knows a sports section isn't supposed to look like the rest of the paper. We’re a progressive, family-owned company on a quest to be one of the best community newspapers and digital delivery systems in the country. We want someone who loves design and knows how to bring excitement to every page. This is a management position, so we want someone with leadership skills or potential. Ability to speak Spanish a plus. We’re a 34,000-circulation daily in south Texas about 30 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. We’re close to the beach and the big, fun cities of Austin, San Antonio, Corpus Christi and Houston. To join our team, send your résumé, work samples and cover letter to the Victoria Advocate, attention Editor Chris Cobler, at either ccobler@vicad.com or mail to 311 E. Constitution, Victoria, TX 77901.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

This is a d_b.

3. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

Call me naive, but what's that supposed to mean?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It means it is a repeat of another thread. It is so named after a posted who goes by deeper_background, or d_b for short. Said poster is famous for posting old news, so d_b has become SportsJournalists.com lingo for old news/repeat, etc.

But, in this case, it is wrong. Victoria is looking for a sports editor and there is a thread on that. This certainly appears to be a different position. I could be wrong but the wording leads me to believe that. Anyone who knows for sure, please be sure to chime in.

Oh, and welcome BYUSportsGuy.

5. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

I know for a fact that this is a different posting. I have a buddy that works on staff there, and it sounds like they need a sports editor AND a sports designer, but that's about all I know about the job.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hence, no d_b.
    See, you're learning already. Stick around, we got lots more.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Calling out a d_b: good SportsJournalists.com policing. Shows a thorough knowledge of board activity. Or the need for more hobbies.

Incorrectly calling out a d_b: very bad form. A rush to judgment in an effort to show board mastery but instead showing a lack of thread comprehension. Booo.

8. jetssack

jetssack Member

Two separate listings on jjobs:

June 4:
    Position: Asst. Presentation Editor/Sports
    Ad Expires: July 9, 2009
    Job ID: 1059162

Description:
    We're looking for a designer who knows a sports section isn't supposed to look like the rest of the paper. We’re a progressive, family-owned company on a quest to be one of the best community newspapers and digital delivery systems in the country. We want someone who loves design and knows how to bring excitement to every page. This is a management position, so we want someone with leadership skills or potential. Ability to speak Spanish a plus. We’re a 34,000-circulation daily in south Texas about 30 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. We’re close to the beach and the big, fun cities of Austin, San Antonio, Corpus Christi and Houston. To join our team, send your résumé, work samples and cover letter to the Victoria Advocate, attention Editor Chris Cobler, at either ccobler@vicad.com or mail to 311 E. Constitution, Victoria, TX 77901.

May 30:
    Position: Sports editor sought
    Ad Expires: July 4, 2009
    Job ID: 979477

Description:
    Do you have what it takes to create one of the nation's best community sports sections? If so, we want to hear from you. While most of the industry is mired in a downward spiral, we’re a progressive, family-owned company that sees the opportunities for growth. We’re on a quest to be one of the best community newspapers and digital delivery systems in the country. We're looking for a sports editor who swings for the fences -- thorough prep coverage, nontraditional sports stories, and in-depth features -- and carries a good batting average. Ability to speak Spanish a plus. We’re a 34,000-circulation daily in south Texas about 30 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. We’re close to the beach and the big, fun cities of Austin, San Antonio, Corpus Christi and Houston. To join our team, send your résumé, work samples and cover letter to the Victoria Advocate, attention Editor Chris Cobler, at either ccobler@vicad.com or mail to 311 E. Constitution, Victoria, TX 77901.

9. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

Has anyone applied for either of these jobs?

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

apologize, drip

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

I actually found the town to be decent. Older downtown core with suburbia looping it, and not far from San Antonio, Houston or Corpus Christi (and Rockport, one of the better beaches in this part of the state, is about an hour away). Paper was what it was. Web site lists an ASE, so I imagine both the SE and presentation jobs are open.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Nothing to apologize for. I was wrong in calling it a d_b. They are two separate jobs.That's very good news for those looking.

Draft saved Draft deleted