1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant ME, Sports Business Daily, Charlotte, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

SportsBusiness Daily is seeking an ASSISTANT MANAGING EDITOR for our Charlotte headquarters.

Candidates must be knowledgeable in the business of sports and have strong writing, editing and copy editing skills. The AME will work with the Executive Editor and Managing Editor to budget, prioritize and line edit stories for SBD’s Morning Buzz, The Daily and Closing Bell. AME will also handle news-gathering, story assignment, story placement, line editing and copy editing. AME will run the Weekend Desk, handling all aspects of the publication for Monday editions.

Position is Sunday-Thursday and reports to the Managing Editor. If interested, please send resume to jobs@sportsbusinessdaily.com.

If you are interested in this, or any posted position, please follow the 3-Step process below…

Step 1: Choose a position that fits your qualifications
    Step 2: Inform your current manager and seek his/her approval to apply for the position.
    Step 3: Once approved, your current supervisor will inform the hiring manager. If you become a candidate for the position, the hiring manager will contact you to begin the interviewing process.

You must have a minimum of 2 years experience in your present position to be considered for a lateral transfer.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Moddy or anyone out there. The steps are pretty simple. I have a problem with steps 2 and 3. If I'm not invovled with this company at the moment, why should my current manager be involved in this hiring process?
    Also, what does it mean when it says once approved, my current supervisor will inform the hiring manager? To me, it sounds like I have to have the approval of my current employer to seek employment at another company.
    Thanks for any insight.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Possible this was an internal posting?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes, with a memo at the bottom to pass along to those outside the company.

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Anyone have any more info on this one? Seems like a good mag, anyone have any inside info?

6. BillM

BillM New Member

If you are interested in this, or any posted position, please follow the 3-Step process below…
    The first part of this is the actual position. What is below is for internal candidates only

Step 1: Choose a position that fits your qualifications
    Step 2: Inform your current manager and seek his/her approval to apply for the position.
    Step 3: Once approved, your current supervisor will inform the hiring manager. If you become a candidate for the position, the hiring manager will contact you to begin the interviewing process.

You must have a minimum of 2 years experience in your present position to be considered for a lateral transfer.

7. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

This thread has been quiet for a couple of weeks.

Anybody have an idea if this has been filled or what it might pay?

8. SportsBiz

SportsBiz New Member

Job has not been filled. It's a great company to work for, doing remarkably well in these tough times. be prepared, however: You have to be at work around 5:30 or so. Long hours. But a great environment and team to work with, plus all the resources you'd ever need.

And yes, I work here.

9. maberger

maberger Member

salary range?

10. bitter mf

bitter mf New Member

So, SportsBiz guy, are they going to keep making others pick up the slack and do this job, or what? Sounds like they don't like the candidates or the economy sucks or getting approval sucks or what?

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

You have to get to work at 5:30?

a.m. or p.m.?

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

BMF,

I am relatively certain that their process is moving along at the pace they want.

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted