1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant managing editor/NFL, CBSSports.com (Fort Lauderdale, FL)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Bronco77, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Saw this one last night on a listing of jobs locally:

Assistant Managing Editor - CBS Sports.com

Ref#: 28749

CBS Business Unit: CBS Interactive

Job Type: Full-Time Staff

Job Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL, US

About Us:
    CBS Interactive is the premier online content network for information and online operations of CBS Corporation as well as some of the top native digital brands in the entertainment industry. Our brands dive deep into the things people care about across entertainment, technology, news, games, business and sports. With over 1 billion users visiting our properties every quarter, we are a global top 10 web property and one of the largest premium content networks online.

Check us out on The Muse to get an inside look into #LifeAtCBSi through employee testimonials, office photos and company updates.

Description:
    Role Details:
    The Assistant Managing Editor for NFL is responsible for the day-to-day operation and success of CBSSports Digital’s NFL coverage. With help from a staff of writers, analysts and support editors, the AME directs coverage of all things NFL – preseason, in-season, playoffs, Super Bowl, NFL Draft, etc.

Your-Day-to-Day:
    • Assist in creation of overall strategy for NFL group
    • Devise daily content plan and execute on it
    • Clearly communicate content expectations to writers and editors
    • Stay abreast of all news and information published to site
    • Ensure user experience is the best it can be – desktop and mobile
    • Coaching and supervising personnel
    • Ensure best practices for writing, editing, publishing are being followed
    Key Projects:
    • Manage coverage of the Super Bowl
    • Creative planning for the NFL Draft
    • Involvement with live video programming

Qualifications:
    What you bring to the team:
    You have--
    • Proven experience as a newsroom manager
    • Exceptional ability in editing for content and context
    • Good organizational, planning and leadership skills
    • Outstanding communication and management abilities
    • Strong knowledge of SEO concepts
    You might also have:
    • BS/BA in journalism or related field
    • Previous online journalism experience
    All candidates must successfully complete a background check prior to starting employment at CBS Interactive. CBS Interactive is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or status as a veteran. CBS Interactive complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
    EEO Statement:
    Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled

Apply:
    Assistant Managing Editor - CBS Sports.com

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Interesting. Who is in charge there these days? I know they ousted a couple of years ago a guy who had been No. 1 for a long time. (Swanson?) The late Craig Stanke might have been No. 2.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I used to write for the CBS Sports website -- back when it was Sportsline -- and I have never understand why they are based in Fort Lauderdale. Just a random place to set up shop.

4. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Probably the main reason is that Mike Levy, the entrepreneur who founded the company about 25 years ago, lived in the area. He's still here, I think, but he's long since moved on to other things. I figured CBS might move the operation when it took over, but it's never happened for whatever reason.

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Expensive to not only set up a new shop + move everyone but also real estate space in NYC just a tad higher than in Ft. Lauderdale.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No clue. They did move out Mark, Stanke was No. 2. Another guy they brought in after Mark, I'm pretty sure, died not that long ago.

I did contract work for them when Mark and Stanke were around and loved it. Not sure what's up there now.

Draft saved Draft deleted