1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Managing Editor, CBSSports.com

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Editude, Apr 17, 2010.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, I'm not sure where it would fit on somebody's career path, and yes, I suppose it might be a lateral step for somebody who's currently running his/her own show, but there's really no "title inflation" here at all.

Oh, wait, I'm getting it; the "assistant managing editor" thing, as opposed to that title at a newspaper. Well, yeah, I suppose, but at a sports-only site, it's co-No. 3 in the editorial ranks for the whole place, behind the ME and the DME. So not really inflated in context ...

2. Sir Sid

Sir Sid Member

I believe, if this is the NFL editor position, it was filled today.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

My sources say this was not the NFL gig and has a couple of steps left before finalists are identified.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not the NFL gig.
    I know the guy who vacated that and this is not that.

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Just curious: What was the NFL gig? Interesting that there is some movement there.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

NFL regional editor. It's a part-time gig (a very good one) - I know the guy who vacated that because it was me. Hated to give it up. Loved the people at CBS, loved the writers I had, loved working with my fellow editors. A terrific group on all three levels.

The current job is full-time and a position of authority. Like I said earlier, a great job. I would have jumped at it had I not secured my present position. I'd elevate this to a new level of Moddy Seal - the PLATINUM Seal.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Everything said above is right, but just to summarize:

A part-time NFL editor job remains open. One was filled, but they're adding another. This is a part-time, seasonal job.

AME job is co-No. 3 in the department (with one other editor) and is in charge of the desk operation. That process is moving along.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

They aren't close to filling it but they have reduced the number of candidates for the gig.

9. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Several 1HPers expressed interest. Not sure if the recent furlough announcement was a catalyst or convenient excuse.

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Anything new here?

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Still chopping down candidates.

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Opening is no longer posted.

Draft saved Draft deleted