1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant editor, Baseball America

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by flaming_mo, Jul 25, 2006.

1. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

I've always liked Baseball America. I had a friend who worked there, and while he enjoyed it, he definitely worked HARD. There's a lot of copy to crank out between the Web and the magazine.

--------------

Baseball America seeks an experienced writer and editor to serve in the role of assistant editor in our Durham, N.C., headquarters.

Job responsibilities will include writing and editing copy for both our magazine and Website, as well as assisting in the organization and production of our four annual books and other special publications. The ideal applicant will have a passion for baseball as well as good journalism, with the ability to recognize both a two-seam fastball and a run-on sentence. For this position we're looking for someone with a few years of experience, preferably working for a daily newspaper.

Baseball America just celebrated its 25th anniversary and is the nation's most respected baseball publication, covering the game from the majors to the youth level with an emphasis on player development. We publish a biweekly magazine and operate a Website, as well as our books and other publications, and we're read by everyone in the baseball industry as well as passionate fans of the game.

If you're interested in finding out more, please send a resume and clips to:

Will Lingo
    Editor in Chief
    Baseball America
    P.O. Box 2089
    Durham, NC 27702

You may also apply via e-mail to:
    willlingo@baseballamerica.com.

Please apply by Aug. 1

2. whatgives

whatgives New Member

Any idea what this one would pay?

3. scalper

scalper Member

Sources say notoriously low-paying.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

As in 20s, 30s or 40s?

5. scalper

scalper Member

I get the impression 40 would be the max, and it might be lower than that.

6. Does that strike anyone as odd because this is a magazine. I was always under the impression magazines paid well, especially one like BA.

7. chisox007

chisox007 New Member

How much writing do you guys think is involved at this position?
    Or do you see it more as editing?

8. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

I would put this gig in the 20s almost certainly, knowing several people at BA.

9. slim72

slim72 Member

Yeah, they're known to be on the cheap. It wouldn't surprise me if this is essentially a desk job, which if you like numbers and minor leagues and fantasy and stuff like that, is probably for you.

10. scalper

scalper Member

I like the publication, but they also are known for freezing jobs and laying people off (not that they have the market cornered on this). Be careful, is all I'm saying.

11. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Anyone heard anything on this one? Any idea on when they plan on moving on this one?

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My real question: When did Flaming Mo go guest on us?

Draft saved Draft deleted