1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant editor, Baseball America (Durham, N.C.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, Mar 17, 2008.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Baseball America seeks an assistant editor who is passionate about baseball and journalism. We started out as a humble baseball tabloid produced by an editorial staff of three way back in the early 1980s, and now we've grown into a full-service media company that's focused on the Web and multimedia as much as our print publication, which is now the only high-frequency, all-baseball publication around. In addition to our biweekly magazine, we do daily Web content, blogs and podcasts, as well as four annual baseball books and other special publications. In our spare time we talk about baseball – as well as other sports.

We remain a small company where achievement and ideas are recognized and rewarded, and where people who don't give their all stick out like a sore thumb. What we're looking for in an assistant editor is someone with at least a couple of years of experience who is willing and able to write a blog post, edit an organization report, call a scout and type in the standings for the Can-Am League in the course of a day. As you get into the company, where you go will depend on your strengths and interests.

We are looking to fill this position immediately in our Durham, N.C., office. We offer full benefits and a great work environment. Please send resume and writing samples to Will Lingo at willlingo@baseballamerica.com or via regular mail to:

Will Lingo
    Editor in Chief Baseball America
    P.O. Box 2089
    Durham, NC 27702

http://apse.dallasnews.com/job_board/2008/2175.html

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

From what I've heard, pay at Baseball America isn't the best. That could have changed, though.

3. Yeah, they pay next to nothing.

That said, if I were younger (and making much less money), I would jump at an opportunity like this.

4. Grimace

Grimace Guest

But..."As you get into the company, where you go will depend on your strengths and interests." Translation: Get paid crap at first. Still, if you're a baseball nut and young/lead a simple life, then it sounds like a great gig.

5. I applied for a similar position about a year ago. Never heard anything back but I was sure my three years covering minor league baseball would have got me in. I guess not.

6. Can anyone define "pay next to nothing?"

7. Someone told me $30k. But don't take that as gospel. Maybe someone else can confirm or correct that.

8. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I applied for a position there about five years ago, and like you PofP, I never heard a word. I sent a follow-up e-mail, hoping to at least get a "thanks but you had no shot" response and got nothing.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

oh, they wanted you, sxy.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think Will Lingo was an enigmatic hero in some spaghetti Western.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

how many women work at this place? the only folks i know who work there are male.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't know a whole lot about their operation, but John Manuel has been very helpful in the past. I don't know what they pay, but Durham is a pretty affordable city.

Draft saved Draft deleted