1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Director of Athletic Communications - Oakland (Mich.) University

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by KJIM, Sep 17, 2011.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Apply online at www.oakland.edu

Description:
    As a senior member of the athletic communications staff, serve as the primary contact for athletic communications, promotions, marketing and branding efforts for the sports assigned by the director; Create solutions and ideas to promote and market program across all traditional and "new" media platforms; Design, write and produce online media guides, news releases and other printed material; Compile statistics and maintain records; Report statistics and information to The Summit League and NCAA offices; Nominate and promote student-athletes for conference, regional and All-America honors; Assist with content/maintenance of the OUgrizzlies.com athletics website, as well as photography archives; Provide information to and develop relationships with local, regional and national media; Perform other duties as assigned; Promote the overall vision for entire athletics program; Supervisory responsibilities for student assistants, interns and volunteers; Adhere to all institution, conference and NCAA rules and regulations; Report all known NCAA violations in accordance with institutional, conference and NCAA policies and guidelines.

Requirements:
    Bachelor's degree in communication, journalism or related field; Minimum three years of athletic communications/sports information experience at the collegiate level; Working knowledge of an intercollegiate athletic department; Perform all job duties in a manner consistent with NCAA, conference and University rules, regulations, ordinances, policies, procedures and guidelines; Excellent organizational and analytical skills; Excellent oral and written communication skills; Ability to communicate effectively with others; Adobe InDesign and Photoshop experience, as well as stat-crew software knowledge

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Not trying to be snarky, just honestly confused by this posting.

It requires at least three years of experience in athletic communication at the collegiate level. Who has that? We are journalists or used to be. Maybe I'm wrong but I haven't heard of many being in the athletic communication field on this site. If I'm wrong then disregard this post.

I would love to move into athletic communication for the record. I just don't see who is going to meet the requirements on a sports journalists website. Seems odd to me.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wonder what this level of job would pay at a school like Oakland.

My wild-hair guess would be 60Kish.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Ace, it's half of that.

https://jobs.oakland.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1316538889460

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

And it will go to a person who is half the age of many of this site's more frequent contributors.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's weak. I read it wrong, though. I thought it was an assistant AD job.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Myself, and a number of others, have full-time experience working in an SID office at a Division I school, so the posting is not really out of place.

As for salary, I would guess nowhere close to 60K. Mid 30s, perhaps a little more. Universities do tend to offer pretty good benefits package. However, a word of caution: one school I worked at was a state school so all employees were state employees and that meant you only got paid once per month (saved the state a fortune in payroll processing and paperwork). Not sure how common that is or just the state I happened to work in.

8. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I make mid-30s at a D-II state school as an Asst. SID, so the pay at Oakland may be better, for what it's worth. My pay here and the benefits combined are much better than as a 10K-circ SE. So is the work environment.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Why do people keep talking about what their guesses on the pay are when the link above already showed it as "up to the low 30s?"

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What's your guess on the salary?

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Gotta be at least upper 30s. Maybe 40s. Right?

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Wouldn't you get to cover the Raiders? That's gotta be a plus. Oh...wait...scratch that.

Former SID type at several D1 schools, and I wish you the best if you have the gumption to do that much work for that little cash.

Draft saved Draft deleted